Wednesday, October 13, 2010

How A Mom Survives

As a mom, sometimes you have to do what you have to do in order to survive.

And sometimes that means hiding candy .... yes, candy .... from your children to be consumed at a later date.  You put it in a safe location so that only you can find it.  And you always hide it where you know that they will never find it...like near the cleaning supplies, vacuum cleaner or laundry basket.

The candy is most always chocolate in nature.  It has to be chocolate.

And you only bust into this secret candy stash when absolutely necessary.  Like when you're going to ground  your kids for the next three hundred years.  And only chocolate will save you.  And your kids more importantly.

Let's take today for example.

I snuck past Shane's room and went and found the hidden stash in my bathroom.  Unfortunately for me, he almost busted me.  And then, shamelessly, I stood in my bedroom doorway with my hand cupping the precious loot against the wall out of his vision so he didn't see it.

And then I gave him five more minutes to make his duck tape wallet (another story all together!) because I had to think fast and I knew that would buy me precious time.

Because I didn't want to share.

Would you want to share?  If you said yes, you're lying.


And if you're like me, after you find it, you go and hide (most likely in the laundry room or mechanics room in the basement) and eat it so they don't pester you to share it.

Because remember.  I said that I didn't want to share.

I didn't want to eat both of them (because I'm sure that I will need one of them at a different time!) so I had to make a choice.
Okay.  It really wasn't a choice.  There was only one choice.

What?  Stop looking at me weird.  Are you saying that you never hid some yummy piece of candy from your kids and then went and hid while you ate it?

You are a liar.  Or in denial.  ;)

PS - This post is dedicated to my former college roommate, friend and fellow candy hider, Liz. Thomason Smoak.  =)  

7 comments:

Mary Ann said...

You still have candy left from Easter?

Kim Eckhardt said...

Yep. And it was delicious. Far more delicious than at Easter. And more special. Because you can't just go out and buy this stuff. So, you've never eaten old candy because you "needed" it? Don't lie...

Liz said...

I have to admit, my Reese's Easter egg that I found the other day wasn't the BEST, but I ate every bit of it and liked it.

ginny said...

I think I know who you learned that trick from!! I still hide stuff from your father :) He's worse than a kid.

Kim Eckhardt said...

Just buy everything with nuts in it. He'll NEVER touch it!

ginny said...

Never thought of doing it that way, he doesn't like DARK chocolate too much either!

Kim Eckhardt said...

And you call yourself a professional? Pffst. He would eat dark chocolate if necessary. He would NEVER touch anything with nuts in it.