Tuesday, June 28, 2011

It's the Law

A few miles after we crossed over into South Carolina from North Carolina, we saw this motorcycle zipping through traffic.


Shirt flying off his body.  Hair whipping in the wind.  Because he didn't have on a helmet.

As soon as Owen saw it, he said "MOM!  That guy is breaking the law.  He's suppose to have a helmet on."

We live in Virginia and while it *is* state law in Virginia that motorcyclists have to wear a helmet, we don't own motorcycles but I don't really ever remember having a conversation with either kids about that law.

But it is such a weird sight to see a motorcyclist riding without a helmet for them so maybe he just assumed that it was a law.

Either way, he continued on and started talking about how stupid it was to ride a motorcycle without a helmet on.

While I agreed with him totally, I explained to him that SC has different state laws than we do in Virginia and they're not required to wear a helmet.

His response?  "Well.  It's stupid to not wear one." 

Well.  Yes son.  But that is his choice.

The next day, we were in a barber shop and I hear Shane telling the barber and several other men that he saw a motorcyclist driving without a helmet and that was stupid and it was stupid that it was not a law in SC mandating that they wear the helmets.

Meanwhile, I'm sinking lower and lower into my chair because I saw the motorcycles outside that probably  belonged to the barber and I knew that the guy in the next chair rode motorcycles.

Then  he starts asking the guy whether he's a Clemson fan or not.  Because Shane likes Clemson.

The guy was a Carolina fan.  :/

At that point, I'm hoping that Shane doesn't denounce the second amendment right to bear arms. :/

So after we left the barbershop, I had to explain to him that there were four things that you absolutely do not discuss without being prepared for an argument or verbal beat down.  Those things included religion, politics, the motorcycle helmet law and the second amendment.

I guess that it was shocking to the kids to see something so different than what they are use to.  Sometimes it's interesting to see the world from their perspective.  I didn't really think twice about the motorcyclist zipping through traffic without a helmet on.

Well.  Other than, you'll be seeing my sister at some point.  :/

1 comment:

Susan said...

Yes, we referbto them as donor cycles...