Saturday, September 10, 2011

The Buffalo Bill Museum

When we were in Cody, Wyoming, we visited the Buffalo Bill Historic Center.


And can I just say that it  is one of the most well put together, informative and interesting museums that I've been to.  And I live outside of DC so we go to a lot of museums.

The crux of the museum is to educate, inform and get visitors interested in the history of not only Buffalo Bill but also the area and historically how the west was settled essentially.

It's all about fun!

And learning about how the pioneers and Native Americans lived and got around.






Thank God Darrel likes the rifles and weapons.  Shane was impressed with this area of the museum the most.  Boys.  Sheesh.  But...it was mutually beneficial for Shane and Darrel as they kept each other entertained!


The boys couldn't resist taking a shot (see what I did there?) at target practice with the rifles.





While they went through the (yawn) firearm section, I wandered off into the Western art section.  Wow is all I can say!  There was some truly amazing paintings and sculptures in there.


But not all art was done in a serious manner.  I love this!  I don't know if you can see it, but there's a Coors can at the feet of the cowboy, near his dog.


Shane in particular enjoyed the science focus of the museum.  They did a great job educating people on Yellowstone and the surrounding area and how it came to be.



He can not pass up a sciencey-thingey that allows him to look through it.  (How sad that I can't even remember what the name of this instrument is.)


And, of course the focus was definitely on the animals of the region.



All in all, this was an excellent museum and I'd highly recommend it.

A world class museum in Cody, Wyoming.  Who would have thunk it?

No comments: