Wednesday, August 14, 2013

I Have A 14 Year Old

I have a 14 year old.

14 YEAR OLD.

I have a high schooler.

A HIGH SCHOOLER. 


Shane turned 14 the other day.  In the last 6 months, he has grown at least 6 inches.  He is now taller than me.  That's not really a milestone, since I'm all of 5 3/4.  The 3/4 is important people!  That's not important milestone.  For him, he's now as tall as his 12 year old cousin, Sheldon.


THAT is a milestone.  lol

He's definitely developed his own personality and I'm super proud of the young man that he is becoming.  Although I could do without his passive aggressivness nature sometimes, I love that he is such an independent thinker and doesn't care what the crowd does. 

He's just like his dad in many ways, including his love of debating politics and religion.  I don't like it but he and Ken can debate and talk about those issues for hours.  I always thought that he would be a follower but really, he stands up for his beliefs.

And just what are those beliefs?  Well.  They're a bit different than most 14 year olds.

 He believes in no judgment. 

He believes that people should be able to live their lives how they wish as long as it doesn't interfer with others. 

He's very passionate about gay marriage and really doesn't understand why gay people can't marry.  He's adamant about that and has no problem telling people that his peers, adults or anyone that says otherwise. 

He enjoys talking about world politics and is knowledgable about them. 

He loves to play Minecraft.

He loves to google chat with his friends.

And text them.  Apparently a lot of girls are texting him now.  I'm thinking about cutting them all.  lol

He says he is an aethiest.  I think that he's agnostic.  He is so science minded that it's hard for him to wrap his head around something that can't be seen or touched or proven one way or the other.

He loves music and spends a lot of time listening to pandora.  He especially loves harder alternative rock but lately has been listening to bands like Chicago because he enjoys the different instruments.

He likes to watch TV series with his dad.  They watch Dr. Who, The Family Guy (ugh...hate that one), Sherlock Holmes, Parenthood and others that I can't even stay in the same room with him because they are too scary like Supernatural. 

He is in his first year of marching band and he's loving it.  Even "hell week" as they call the summer practice week that ran from 8-5.  They got lucky because it was a uncharacteristically cool week with temps in the mid 70's.  He didn't want to do marching band.  This was the one thing that I insisted that he try.  And he's glad that he did.  So am I.

He wants to study physics and engineering in college.  At Virginia Tech. 

And he's smart enough to do it!

He hasn't quite learned the fine art of listening during a discussion.  Hopefully that will come with time.

All in all, he's a great kid that is passionate what he's passionate about and I can't wait to see where life takes him.  <3>

2 comments:

Patrick said...

This is a nice post to counteract the last "teenage boys are stupid" post!

It's nice to see a kid stand up for no judgment and human rights. You don't see that often, especially at his age. Y'all are doing something right! Also you'll be happy to know that his views sound very similar to mine, so you know they're right. (Except for debating world politics, I'll sit in the corner with you for that and we can talk about the weather)

Kim Eckhardt said...

LOL! I stand by my statement that teenage boys are stupid. ;)

However, Shane *is* a great kid and you're right about the fact that most kids won't stand up for what they believe. Heck. Most kids don't have his beliefs or ANY beliefs pertaining to most of the things that he takes issue with. I love that about him. And I love that about you. I couldn't no-school them (I think that was the name of your home schooling) the way your mom did so kudos to her. And if Shane and Owen turn out to be the responsible adult that you are, we did our job right! Thanks for following my blog. :)