Saturday, June 26, 2010

So It Begins

Shane is moving onto middle school next year. He's already got the teenage sassy mouth, eye-rolling down to a fine science. He's really gotten good at it too. Unfortunately.

Additionally, he has started blaming his moodiness on "preteen hormones." LOL. Oh well. I guess if I can blame my b8&chiness on PMS, he can pull the "preteen hormones" card.

Last night the local YMCA had a pool party for the middle schoolers. Shane asked if he could go and when I said yes he started rounding up his friends to go. Instead of driving my cute Beetle, I carted them over there in the mini-van.

If that didn't tag me as old and uncool, standing outside the pool fence with the other uncool parents later that night in the pickup line, waiting for Shane and his friends to acknowledge me and to load into the waiting taxi, completed the tagging process!

As I'm standing there looking in, I realized that this is the beginning of the end. No longer will it be sweet Shane snuggling with me on the sofa. Now I'm just a taxi service, only being allowed to speak when spoken to and even then just to answer the questions asked.

And those questions will probably be "can I have money and or snacks" or "can you take so-and-so home? I told them you could."

And so it begins. Sigh.

4 comments:

ginny said...

And so begins my laughter!

Kim Eckhardt said...

Um. I thought that you were *already* laughing!!!! :p

Rhonda Sisk said...

I hope that your initiation to middle schoolers goes better than mine. I get to tackle two of them this year and dreading it. How do you stay involved with what is going on at school but yet remain anonymous enough for them to have their space?

ginny said...

Rhonda- they will find their space no matter how involved you are!!! Don't worry about being anonymous!! Be right out there- it will help keep them out of trouble. They will hate it but they will hate anything you do so might as well make yourself happy.