Sunday, April 17, 2011

The Latest Battle

The newest battle with Shane revolves around him wanting to go to the mall.

I know it's not uncommon for teenagers to want to go to the mall and hang out with their friends.  I get that.

But a) he's not a teenager and b) where in the hell did this come from?

A few days ago, he asked me if I would drive him and his friend to the mall so that they could hang out - unsupervised.  Well, actually, he sent Owen to ask me first.  And when I said no, Shane came and pleaded his case.  Trying a different approach than his brother used, of course.

And his approach didn't work either.  ;)

After I said no, he has been relentless in asking me.   He said that they just want to walk around the mall and "hang out like boys our age do."

But I said no.  I see no reason for an 11 year old to hang out at the mall unsupervised.  Especially since I have no way of getting in touch with him.

Of course, when I pointed that our, he seized upon the opportunity to ask us for a phone again.  :/

Maybe I'm just mean.  Maybe I'm too strict.  So what say you?  Should Shane be allowed to hang out at the mall with his friend unsupervised?

Ugh.  So not ready for this chapter.  :/

8 comments:

Becky J said...

He is 11. Check

The mall is a crazy place. Check

He should stay home. Check

You are a great mom. Check

ginny said...

I agree with Becky- no mall. I don't think the mall is a great place for kids to hang out when they are 15 let alone 11! Plus he really hasn't shown good judgement lately in other things:)

Caroline said...

I'm with BOTH my mothers on this one. The mall? 11? No way Jose. Shaking my head...b/c this means some mother has let her son :(

susan said...

I couldn't agree more. No mall. You could suggest that you go with him and trail behind the boys. Hahaha. Talk about embarrassment. :)

Unknown said...

No mall without a parent/guardian along.

Kim Eckhardt said...

Yep. No mall. Actually, he's grounded this week so there's no anything. Cause I'm mean. :)

Teacher in the middle said...

You're not mean! I don't want my kids to ask me to go to the mall unsupervised when they're 20...much less 11. Stay strong! You're an amazing mom!

June said...

Oh my goodness! It has officially started.