Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Your Best Vacation As A Kid

When you were a kid, what was your favorite family vacation? For me, I loved going to Oconee State Park with our RV and camping. We did this quite a bit. Several of my parents friends had RV's too so there were always other people there.

I loved driving up through Walhalla. As soon as we passed Cuzzins general store, we knew that we were almost there. We would go there on Saturday nights and listen to the old men who hung around and played bluegrass.




My parents friends had kids our age so my sister and I had people other than ourselves to play with. In the morning, Susan, Lisa (our really good friend) and I would make monkey bread for breakfast and then set off on our adventures where we would roam around the park on our bikes and explore the woods around us.

I'm glad that I grew up in an era where you could still do that! During the day and in the evening, the park had a pavillion where they had clogging and square dances. Sounds kind of geeky but it was super fun!

Then at night, we would sit around the campfire and roast marshmellows before our parents would send us into the RV's so they could have "adult time" ...ie, so they could drink beer. :p

Someone had a small TV where we would watch Saturday Night Live even though we were told not to. We had a look out and as soon as we heard or saw them coming, we would turn it off. Sorry, mom. :)

Yes, I realize that's coming back to me trifold. Susan, Lisa and I are *really* sorry.

So, that's my best vacation memories. So, we're looking at taking the kids on vacation next year. We'd like to take them to somewhere they've not been so here's where you come in.

What was your favorite family vaction? Any good recommendations on where to take them or what to do? We've done Disney. We've done NY. We're looking for something different and fun.

So...what say you? If you could relive any vaction, where would it be?

5 comments:

ginny said...

Why don't you rent an RV and go camping? The boys would love that.

Susan said...

Camping. Yeah, right. That's a good one, Mom. I'm up for camping though. It is a lot of fun. But much better in the fall or winter. Saturday Night Live. Good stuff!

ginny said...

Kim- You forgot about you & Lisa getting lost in the woods!!!

Rhonda Sisk said...

San Diego has a lot to offer. We took the boys one year at Easter and found great deals on rental car, rooms, and the zoo. Oh yeah, they do have a baseball team, too!

Kim Eckhardt said...

@ mom...don't remember getting lost. Were we freaked out or were you? :p

San Diego is definitely on the list! xoxo