Friday, October 30, 2009

Dads Are Cool...Grandpas Are Even Cooler!

Dads are cool!

I wish I were a dad sometimes.

I could be the "fun one."

I could be the one to play "tickle monster" without worrying that the kid is going to fall off of the bed and break his neck.

I could be the one to play video games with the kids for hours instead of worrying about the mounds of laundry that needs to be done.

I could also be the one who says "yes" when they ask go to get ice cream...an hour before dinner.

And dads really don't care about making messes (or likely cleaning them up) so they're pretty open to doing whatever.

But if it's cool to be a dad, it must be really cool to be a grandpa. That's being a dad in super-duper-hyper-overdrive.

But the really cool thing about being a grandpa has nothing to do with the kids. Nope. It has to do with all the cool things that you know how to do and fix. Grandpas have had years to figure out how to fix stuff.

And when they come to your house to visit or stay, you reap the benefits of their boredom.

And the grandmas are ever so happy to have the grandpa out of their hair and occupied so that the grandmas can 1) do whatever they want with the grandkids and 2) have one less "big kid" to deal with.

And by "deal with", I mean referee and keep the grandpa from going into cool-dad-hyper-overdrive. If you're a grandma, you *know* what I mean!

So, when they come to your house, you can either have a list of things for them to fix. Or, if you're lucky enough, they just get bored and start fixing things themselves.

Either way...it's a win-win situation for everyone involved.

Some people get mad if others come into their house and start fixing stuff. Well, not me and surely not Ken. That's one less thing that I have to do...and one more thing I can check it off of my list!

And, frankly, that stuff probably never would have gotten done had it not of been for the bored grandpa.

So anytime a grandpa wants to come to my house and fix things, they are welcome to it. Because I surely appreciate it!

7 comments:

ginny said...

Is this blog a kiss up cause you know your dad will be there in a few weeks????

Kim Eckhardt said...

Nope. It's a "I'm trying to catch up and I'm really about a month or two late. :o)" Besides anyway....you would rather him be busy and out of your hair! Tell the TRUTH!!!!

ginny said...

No comment!

Unknown said...

One thing that Darrel didn't get to was the doorbell - he said he thought it might be something in the wall - I forget what it is called. Anyway, wanted to remember to tell you. Wayne - I hear your name being called. :-)

Susan said...

Talking about a not-so-subtle hint. I have a list too. It's called wallpaper removal.

Becky J said...

There are things I need fixed in TX too, Wayne!!!!!

Kim Eckhardt said...

Forget it y'all. He's mine all mine! I had the list first! :p