Thursday, November 26, 2009

A Field Trip to Remember

Every kid looks forward to going on a school field trip. As parents we'd like to think that they're looking forward to learning about something new. In reality, they're probably just glad to "get out of school" for the day. But that's okay. They will have fun and, even if they don't realize it, they will learn something.

And, as I sometimes do, I temporarily lost my mind and offered to chaperon Shane's field trip to the Morefield Gem Mines. It's always enlightening spending time with a group of fifth graders. I now realize that Shane is not the only one getting ready to hit the preteen years.



That aside, the field trip was great. It was a unique field trip. I didn't even realize that there were still gem mines around. The kids enjoyed getting dirty when they were digging for gems. And they sure did get dirty...it had poured down rain the night before.)

The mine operators dig out the gems from the mine and then spread them throughout a few fields for the kids to sift through looking for the various gems and rocks. Note the dirt.



After they've dug up the gems, they have to wash them (of course!) It's probably the only time the kids actually like to wash anything!



Most of the kids were looking for the biggest rocks that they could find. They brought buckets to carry their loot in and by the end of the day, some were really struggling to carry them. But they were NOT putting any back!



The kids scored when the mine operators threw down new dirt to dig through. SCORE!



They were a little disappointed that they didn't get to go into the actual mine but I think that they had a great time. No one was complaining on the trip back. Well. No one but the chaperons. But we weren't complaining. We just were glad that we remembered our Advil.



I realize that the video is only looking at a drink but I didn't want to videotape any of the kids. I did want to give you a taste of what it's like to chaperon a field trip. This will either make you shudder and shake remembering your own chaperoning days or it will remind you why you shouldn't check "yes" on the permission slip. :p

Or you could enjoy the time spent with your child and his or her classmates. Just remember to take your Advil prior to getting on the bus!

5 comments:

ginny said...

I needed Advil just listening to the video!!!
And you & Susan wondered why I didn't want to spend money & vacation time to chaperone your trips to New Orleans!!!

Kim Eckhardt said...

You probably should have chaperoned them. I'm just sayin'... :p

ginny said...

Some things are better left unknown!

Kim Eckhardt said...

It was all Susan....I swear. But not to God. Because I don't like lightening. :p

June said...

I got suckered into chaperoning a field trip for Skye next week. It should be interesting with high schoolers. I won't forget the advil. Sigh.