Monday, November 23, 2009

For The Love of Harry Potter

Shane is a verocious reader. He usually has two to three books going at one time.

For the last few years, Shane has been really resisting reading Harry Potter. I told him that the books are really, really good and he should give them a try. Especially since his latest obsession is all things wizardly.

He dresssed as Dumbeldore at Halloween. Wizard spells. Wizard magic. Wizards of Waverly Place. Wizards. Wizards. Wizards. (He wanted to become a Wiccan for a while...but that's a different post for a different day.)

He picked up a series called Magyk and really enjoyed it. I begged him again to read the Harry Potter books.

He again said no. He said I didn't know what I was talking about and he wouldn't like them. He was sure.

So I did what I had to do and I resorted to bribing him. (Yes, your honor, I am guilty of bribery as charged.)

This was a few weeks into the school year. (School here begins after Labor Day.)

He just finished the seventh book.

He came into our room after finishing the last book and asked where the eighth book was. He was only kidding, of course, because he knew that the seventh book was the last one.

Then he said he wasn't ready to be done with Harry Potter and it wasn't fair.

Even though he loved Harry Potter and said that he'd never be able to find such a great series again, he had his nose in a book this morning and it looked like he was already halfway through it.

But...yeah. I know I had to resort to bribing him to read the books but I knew that he would love them.

And I was right, wasn't I, Shane?

2 comments:

ginny said...

It was interesting watching him watch the movies after reading the book. He couldn't understand why some of the book was left out of the movie- good thing the movie would have been 6 hours long!!!

Caroline George said...

This post makes me very happy. I'm with Shane...where is book #8?
Makes me want to start the series again..sigh.