Monday, November 2, 2009

Happy Halloween!

Another Halloween has come and gone.

The boys have shaken down the neighbors for the best candy that they could get and are finally coming out of their sugar induced coma.

Shane went as Dumbledorf from Harry Potter, combining his obsession with the Harry Potter books and all things wizardly.





Owen went as Mr. Potato Head, courtesy of my mom and her awesome sewing abilities. Her friend Alice helped her with the costume too...so thanks, Alice! And, of course, thanks again mom for the costume. It was AWESOME!



Of course, I waited until 5:30 to get Owen ready (even though every year I say I'm not waiting until the last minute!) and then it was rush rush rush.

And of course if I would have actually read my mom's instructions before then, it would have made it go quicker.



And if Owen/Ken hadn't pulled the cord out of the costume that is used to tie up the costume so we can make it into the shape of a potato, and we hadn't had to pull it back through, it would have been quicker.

And by "we", I mean my friend Kirsten. She was working that and I was trying to figure out how to get Potato Head's ears on. We really should have just left them off because he lost the ears on the first couple of houses so he ended up being a deaf potato. lol



They even got a few tricks. Our crazy neighbor Lori loves Halloween. One year, she gave out nasty live worms to the kids who said they wanted a trick. Shane said that if he got a worm this year, he was putting it into her mailbox to shrivel up and die.

I guess he didn't like the worm either. Yuck. This year she gave out witch boogers. lol



As luck would have it, it started to rain (of course!) so we decided to drive the kids around the neighborhood instead of walking.

Can I just say that that was the best idea that I've ever had! Now I know why my parents use to drive us around. It's so much easier and we were able to get to a lot more houses.

At one house, I noticed that Owen was up at the door for a long time. I looked closer and he was making the lady at the door go through her candy basket. His patience paid off because he came back with a Babe Ruth. And his teachers said that he couldn't follow instructions. Sheesh.

I mentioned my friend Kirsten. She lives in California and was in Richmond for a conference so she came here on Saturday night. It was great seeing her. She was a great co-pilot and so much fun! At one point, Owen was running and slipped and fell.

Instead of asking if he was all right, Kirsten rolled down the window and yells "you left your candy on the ground...get it!"

LOL. A girl after my own heart!



It was the first sugar that Shane had had in two and a half weeks. Even though I warned him not to eat too much, he gorged it. And then came to me yesterday and said that he had a stomach ache.

Well, duh.

So, Halloween is over. Kirsten is back in California (boo) and the candy is in the basket on top of the fridge.

Time to start planning for costumes for next year. I guess it really doesn't matter if I plan now or wait until Oct. 27th like I usually do. You know what they say about the best laid plans.

You call your mom at the last minute to execute them!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ginny - you are so talented -that costume was so cute. Too bad your daughter didn't look at the directions - isn't that usually the guys who don't ask for directions?

btw - I hate that candy on the fridge - it is too easy to find when I am there. :-)