Monday, November 16, 2009

Hail to the Redskins! Hail Victory!

Hey, this is Ken...Kim's Husband and this is my first (last?) guest blog. First off I have to say that I don't have the talent or training of my wife when it comes to writing or spelling, but I will do my best.

So, first off I wanted to say when I had kids one of the biggest thrills I thought I would have is enjoying sports with them. You notice I said kids and not boys because I inherited my love for sports from my Mom. Oh, my Dad liked sports and was a South Jersey Philly Fan but most of the memories I have are of my Mom taking me to oh, The World Series in '79 or countless Redskins games, including the 1991 Playoff game against Atlanta. I actually took the same seat cushions that we were given that day to our game today.....and so it begins anew.

Getting ready for the game (game paint included):

Tailgating, a big part of the game. The Stadium and Owen doing some of his plays:


Some, of the sights before the game including a Hogette and Ledell Betts before his big game:

Go team! After the before game fun, it is almost time. We get the cheerleaders and the players take the field to loud music and fireworks!

On to the game, it was a great game and just the type of game that will keep Owen interested for years to come. It was a close, the home team came from behind, the crowd was so into it, there was a cool trick play and of course the most important part...

Owen's favorite player, Clinton Portis (along with his teammate, Chris Cooley) can only watch:


WE WON!!


7 comments:

ginny said...

Ken- thanks for sharing the day with us! I am sure Owen will remember this day for the rest of his life (the first of many, I'm sure!) It was nice that for a change Owen got to go, as the younger brother- he's heard "when you get bigger, you can do that".
You are a good dad!!!

Kim Eckhardt said...

Good job honey...on both the blog AND the pictures! I couldn't have done better myself. :) I know that Owen had a great time. I agree with mom...you are a great dad! xoxo

Unknown said...

I have wonderful memories too of sharing my love of sports with you. I also remember the first time I took you to Yankee Stadium - I think you were just about Owen's age and you had come down with a strep throat but I took you anyway! Also, remember when we went to old Orioles Stadium with Mike Flanagan where he pitched, won, took you in the locker room, gave you the ball and you got autographs from Ken Singleton, Jim Palmer, Brooks, etc. Quite a thrill for a 10 year old baseball fan. So glad you can share these special times with your boys. They grow up so fast ------ Love you, Mom

Unknown said...

Ken,
You did a great job on the blog and for Owen! Owen definitely got the sports gene! So, the family tradition goes on! From Joan's father, Mort, to Joan to Ken and now to Owen...Father to Daughter to Son to Son. When we were with the boys last, we came in the house and Owen raced to the TV to see the Redskins game. Shane raced for his book, some kids have the sports gene, some don't. I did not either, but that is what makes life so much fun, variety.
Great job Ken, Owen will never forget that game! Love, Darrel

KenDC said...

Thanks everybody and of course I remember all of that Mom, but I didn't want to make this all about me. ;) I enjoyed it as much if not more than he did. Now, I guess I will give Kim back her blog, but I may be back...she gave me rights....bwahahah!

June said...

Woah, the Redskins won?!

Good job, Dad! :D

Unknown said...

might have to get your own blog - but don't call it in my spare time - what about "on the VRE".
Love that Owen