Friday, April 2, 2010

Vacationing in a Foreign Land

I suppose that some things really are regional and unique to where you live. With this age of the internet and everything being so globalized, I don't really consider that anything is foreign unless you're traveling overseas where there is a language barrier and the culture is different than what we are use to in the USA.

I never really thought about things being so, well, foreign when traveling in the USA. I got a reminder this week when my cousins were visiting from New Jersey.

They decided to run to the store around 9:00 one night. It was dark outside and they had been gone for quite some time. Considering that the store was only 2 minutes in either direction, I thought that I was going to have to go out and hunt them down.

Then I heard them come in so I went downstairs to see what was up. (OK. I went downstairs because I heard Shane jumping on some plastic bags and making really loud popping noises.)

Anywho, Bonnie and Kathy were at the table giggling like crazy. When I asked them what in the heck was so funny, they told me through the giggles that they had just pumped gas for the first time ever in their lives. (For those that don't know, all gas stations in NJ are full-service.)

They said that they gassed up before they left NJ and then as soon as they crossed into Pennsylvania, they realized that they were going to have to pump their own gas. I can only imagine the conversation that they had about how they were going to do it.

So they couldn't put it off any longer and headed to the gas station. They sat at the gas station and finally got up the nerve to do it. They said that it took both of them to figure out how to work the pump and select all of the right buttons to make the gas dispense.

Then they finally did it! They really did it!

They said it wasn't as bad as what they had imagined it would be. :p

God what I would have done to have been there and video recorded it. I'm sure that was comedy gold especially considering how much they were still laughing 20 minutes later.

Who knew that traveling within the United States would be as traumatic as traveling in Europe and dealing with everyday things that people in that strange lands deal with...such as pumping gas.

I guess they can check pumping gas off of their bucket list. :up:

2 comments:

Susan said...

hhhhaaaaahhhhhhaaaaaa!! That's hilarious. How very stressful that must have been for them. I wish you would have had a recorder. I wonder how much gas is a gallon in Jersey? Imagine....pumping your own gas....how common. hehehehe.

Kim Eckhardt said...

How common indeed! lol