Monday, March 29, 2010

Saving the Best For Last

I'm one of those.

I believe in saving the best for last.

When I was younger, I would always eat the yucky green beans first and get them out of the way. This way I was saving the best stuff for last. By contrast, Susan would eat all of the good parts of the meal first and put off eating the yucky stuff til last.

And then mom, being the ole meany that she was, would make Susan finish them. Even after Susan begged off being full. My mean-old-mom didn't care and would make her sit there until those stupid green beans turned cold and petrified. It was a stand off. A battle of the wills.

Mom usually won and Susan would still have to eat them. Nothing better than cold green beans. I guess she never learned because I clearly remember this happening so it couldn't have been just one occasion that is seared into my mind.

Even as an adult, I like to eat my non-favorite things first and save the best for last. And even then, I save the best of the best for last.

If I'm eating a piece of pizza, I'll save the last bite with the most cheese and pepperoni for last.

If I'm eating Mac and Cheese, the crusty part gets saved for last.

You get the picture.

And yeah...it always happens that at this particular point in the meal or snack that my children discover the last bite of awesomeness sitting on my plate and ask for it.

And my answer is always "NO!" I have worked hard for that last bite...eating all of my broccoli in order to get it...and I'm not giving it up.

They learned the hard way not to try and steal it either.

Stabby Stabby. The fork can be used as a weapon, you know!

They can choke down their stupid broccoli the same as me and save their best bite for last.

But instead they chose to go the same route that their Aunt Susan chose long ago.

So sorry boys. I'm going to enjoy the best bite of my dinner while you sit there and stare at that cold icky stalk of broccoli.

And at me. Enjoying my last bite of dinner goodness.

And if you're reading this thinking that I am the most awful person ever because I don't share my best bite of food, know that I'm teaching them a valuable lesson.

If you want to reap the rewards of hard work, you have to put in the effort. Eat your broccoli while it's warm and "edible" and you will be rewarded with the best bite at the end.

Put off the not so tasty parts of your meal, you will still have to eat your broccoli. Only now it's cold and petrified and you've gained nothing.

Owen seems to have a firm grasp of this concept. He always eats his salad and veggies first. Additionally, he always saves his money and only spends it on things that he *really* wants. He has restraint. Shane continues to try and play the system and continues to get burned.

Hopefully he will learn the saving the best for last motto before he's adult.

3 comments:

Teacher in the middle said...

Kim, I'm sending this post to my husband! I stabbed him with my fork while we were dating because he tried to take my last bite of something. I too like to delay my gratification! :) Thank you for sharing with the world that you see things my way!

Oh yeah, I posted a really long comment on a previous post (the one about the oven) and for some reason it didn't make it. Probably my fault, but just take to heart that you are not alone with your appliance troubles and I too was born blonde! :)

Becky J said...

Did your mom make Wayne sit there til he ate his vegetables too? I guess he'd still be sitting there, though, wouldn't he?!!!!!!!!!

By the way..I think you are right with this post!!!

Kim Eckhardt said...

There's no hope for Wayne. She gave up on him. BUT she did stabby stabby his hand when he tried to steal her food!

Robin, you must be a long lost sista! :)