Wednesday, February 13, 2008

What Do I Do All Day?

Well...like most stay-at-home moms who also works-at-home (but that's another post) I do any array of things that one might expect. Cook (careful, Ken), clean (ditto), do laundry (ditto), help at the kids schools, grocery shop, etc. etc. etc. The list goes on and on. And, nap. Definitely. Whenever I can. Which isn't nearly enough these days.

Anyway, so...my day today starts out like any other day. Except they've delayed the kids school two hours because of the ice. And, like any other day, and regardless of the fact that we now have two extra hours to get out the door, the kids piddle around and attempt to play their video games, play Webkinz and watch TV. And, like any other day, I end up getting mad at them and we're almost late to school. (Kids pics thrown in because if you've read it this far, you deserve it!)





Okay. So. Let's see...scratch everything else on my lengthy to-do list. Get the kids off to school and decide to swing by the grocery store. In the pouring rain. Because I rock. Or, I don't want to hear them whine about what I make for dinner so I am going to make them something that they will eat. With minimal protest.

I pull into the driveway and I notice that there's a truck parked outside of our house with the trunk open. Then I see this guy walking off of our porch. With a bunch of manly looking equipment (no...that's not code for something else, pervert. He really had a bunch of tools. Nevermind.)

I get out of the car. With my cell phone in hand. Because I'm paranoid. Because I watch too much Court TV. I ask him what's up. Did I mention that it's pouring down rain? Well...it is. He says that he's a contractor with Columbia Gas and he is surveying the houses and says that there's a huge gas leak on the outside of our house that extends to Ray's house.

I have two thoughts.

1. Right. This guy is full of it and he's trying to take me.
2. Oh man. This guy is for real and how much is it going to cost me.

So he says that he has to call CG right away because the leak is at a very high level. I can tell that he's serious and I tell him that I'll be upstairs if he needs me. He says he can't ring the door bell because it may blow the house up. Then proceeds to tell me that if it's a leak underground, our house could explode. Then tells me that normal procedure if for an evacuation.

Oh f'ing great.

So, what do I do? Well...of course. Put away the groceries, load the dishwasher and clean up the house quickly (ie - pick the kids undies off of the floor because they didn't do it (not any of the 5 times that I asked). And why? Because if it blows up, I would be mortified if people saw it. Whatever. I need therapy.

So, whatelse do I do? Grab my camera of course and start taking pictures of the multitude of trucks that pulled up. I'm not sure why Cox Cable was here. That was kinda weird but whatever. It's their procedures not mine.





Then someone from CG comes up and I ask what's it going to cost me? He started laughing and said nothing because the whatchamacallit just needs to be tightened.

Whew. So, now I can get on with the rest of my day. It's 12:45 and the kids don't get home until 3:45. I can get a lot done between now and then. Or, I may just bag it and take a nap. I deserve it.

Oh...what did I have planned today, you ask? Well. I was going to go to meet my friend Kristy for breakfast. We've been trying to get together since my birthday. My birthday was in October. :)

No comments: