Saturday, April 18, 2009

Caller ID - A Good Thing....Or Not

Caller ID is a feature well worth the money that we pay for every month. Seriously. How did we ever survive without it? If your number is "caller unknown" or "1-800-xxx", you go right to voicemail. If I'm in the middle of something, I can choose to answer it or not.

Well, the other day the phone rang. As always, I looked at the caller before picking it up. It was a local number and I recognized the name as one of the parents in Owen's classroom.

This is a parent whom I only know through school. Not a friend per se and not someone that I would talk to on the phone.

Given Owen's colorful history, I automatically go on the defense wondering what he's done this time. I took a deep breath and answered the phone.

OTHER MOM: This is so-and-so's mom from Owen's classroom.

ME: Deep breath. Oh...hi. How's it going?

I'm trying to make casual conversation before getting into the "I'm really sorry" part of the conversation that I just know is coming next.

OTHER MOM: Did Owen bring home his homework folder?

ME: What? No. I'm assuming that there isn't one coming since it's a short week.

OTHER MOM: Okay. Because this is the third week that so-and-so has forgot his folder and I wanted to check with you before I scolded him.

ME: Oh. Okay. Is that IT?

OTHER MOM: Yep.

So, we chat for a few more minutes and I hang up the phone feeling a little guilty that I assumed that Owen did something wrong and had already plotted out his punishment.

In my defense, there is a history here. So, next time the phone rings from a classmates' mom, I'm not going to assume that he did something wrong.

Of course, that means that he will have done something wrong. Because that's the way it goes.

But I'm still thankful for caller ID. Even though I sometimes work myself up into a tizzy for nothing. Or maybe it's something. I guess I'll just have to pick up the phone and find out, won't I?

No comments: