Saturday, May 2, 2009

The City Mouse and The Country Mouse

We've all heard the story. The city mouse goes to visit his cousin in the country and an education into how the other half lives commences. Then the country mouse visits the city mouse and an education into how the other half lives commences.

I'm not a mouse but I do have a friend who lives in the city. The real city. As in New York City. And he's like the city mouse. And I'm like the country mouse.

He is Ken's friend too and we went to dinner with him a few years ago when we were in the city to see The Police at Madison Square Garden. The first thing he said was "wow...you sure are southern." LOL.

I didn't realize my accent was so pronounced but I guess it is. Especially to a New Yorker I suppose.

So...anyway...about a year later, he came to Fredericksburg for a few days on vacation and lived the life of the country mouse for a few days. I took him to my favorite luncheon counter/pharmacy, Goolricks, for lunch where you can still sit at the counter and order lunch. Nothing fancy mind you. Grilled cheese, hot dogs, soup...and a milk shake or cherry soda. Made the old skool way.

And of course...when you're in a small city, you're bound to run into someone you know, which we did and then he got to meet my best friend and her youngest son. That sealed it for him. If he didn't think I was the country mouse before, he definitely thought I was then. ;)

Because that's the way it goes in the "country." And Mike was calling it Fredneck by the time he left too but I think that he enjoyed the slower pace for at least a few days. I'm not sure that he realized folks still lived this way.

So, when we were in NYC for Easter, he came and had breakfast with us and took us into his world.

His crazy, kooky world of New York City where anything goes.

And he's the person that you want to be with in that crazy, kooky world because he's tall and he keeps up with you when you get dizzy from all the people. He's easy to find in a crowd too. Much easier than Ken, Shane or Owen. He's an awesome co-pilot for sure!



So, we took a little stroll down 5th Avenue to see the Easter Parade. Which really wasn't a parade at all. It was rather a gathering of people in the "finest" bonnets.













Or wackiest costumes they could find or just bizarre sightings that make you go "hum."





I just thought that the contrast between the secular world and the religious world was too much not to snap the picture.



And, of course, the Easter Bunny had to be there.



Who knew that the Easter Bunny had a family or attended St. Peters church? He was waiting for the service.




Neither Mike nor I knew who this woman was but she was obviously someone who was someone. If you know who she is, let me know.



I really could have stayed there all day taking pictures and I kept drifting off from everyone but Mike was awesome about keeping up with me. And Ken. And Shane. And Owen. Somehow. Because there was tons of people there. All while he was shooting video too. He's a true city mouse!

So, thanks to Mike for showing the country mouse the city. You are an awesome tourguide!

And, as your reward, Shane is bestowing a new avatar for you as he promised. Enjoy! :p

2 comments:

susan said...

great pictures!!~!~!!!

Josie Thames said...

Wow. The bonnets are very different from the Judy Garland movie!