Wednesday, May 20, 2009

The Things Kids Say...Part IV

The birds and the bees.

A topic every parent dreads. My friend says that her kids are going to learn bout it the same way she did --- from the kids down the street. lol. She's joking. I think.

Anyway, the topic has been brought up countless times recently. Well, not countless but enough that the conversation - the "real" conversation - is on the horizon with Shane. Ken recently watched something on TV and decided that it was in fact time to have that talk with him.

Shane heard us discussing it and zeroed in on it. And won't let it go. He was asking me about it a few days ago when Ken was going to have the "birds and the bees" talk with him and I said that I would be happy to talk to him about it right then.

He replied that it was a "man to boy conversation" that he had to have with Ken. And then ended it with "no offense, Mom." LOL.

Shane wasn't letting Ken out of it and made sure he set up a specific date with Ken. And made Ken shake hands on it. They now have a date to go to lunch and have "the talk."

Ken and I really don't know exactly what he knows (although Ken has spoken to him recently and said he didn't know) so I thought that I would fill Ken on our dinner conversation tonight since he missed it.

Shane said that he needed to ask me something but didn't want to do it in front of Owen. He said it was about sex and was very concerned that he was having sex with his friend Josie.

I asked him what he meant.

He said that he thought that when they shared a granola bar, he was having sex with her.

I about spit out my tea but somehow maintained my composure to inform him that only two people could have sex and sharing drink or snack with someone isn't considered "sex."

lol

But...I'm going to put a granola bar in Ken's lunch and tell him that I get credit according to Shane.

Lord have mercy. The things that come out of these children's mouths. :p

5 comments:

ginny said...

Remember the saying- you've only just begun!

uncle cliff said...

You mean everytime Mary and I share a granola bar what I think is happening ISN'T. I guess young and old have the same idea. LOL

Kim Eckhardt said...

His is an idea. Yours is a wish. lol

June said...

LOL. I have a feeling Ken is going to be getting a lot of granola bars in his lunch. ;)

Anonymous said...

Oh this is so funny. I am trying to remember what I knew in 4th grade - I think I was more advanced because I don't think I thought sex was a granola bar! Of course, we didn't have granola bars when I was 10.
Grandma Joan