Monday, July 6, 2009

Williamsburg!

As a parent, you want your kids to excel in whatever interests them and seeing that Shane has had a terrible time adjusting to school every year, I decided that he needed to participate in something academic this summer. Something that would keep him academically engaged and would help him to remain confident in his school work next school year.

So I started looking around and found a program run by the College of William and Mary in Williamsburg, VA and I signed him up for two classes. The first class is called "Fairy Tales on Trial" where the kids learn about courtroom trials and are able to play out the roles of the judge, jury or attorney.

He should excel as a defense attorney!

The afternoon class is called "Project SALUTE" and is a space exploration program where the kids learn about space and designing rocket ships. "Geeky" stuff that I could NEVER understand.

We only had a few glitches in the plan so far but the campus is beautiful. I'd forgotten how large college campuses can be so it's been a little hectic trying to figure out where to get him to class. Especially since the two classes are at the opposite ends of the campus. :/

If you want to read about the course, go to the link below.

http://www.cfge.wm.edu/forms/SEP%20SUM%2009.pdf

Hopefully he'll have a great experience. I wish that all kids could attend classes like this. It's a great opportunity for him. I hope he has fun. Owen and I will. We're planning on going to Busch Gardens during the day while he's in class. :)

7 comments:

Becky J said...

You're a good good mom.

ginny said...

I agree with Becky!!

Caroline George said...

I third that motion.
Did you feel like you were 18 again roaming around campus?

Kim Eckhardt said...

I'm not a good mom. Just sometimes I do things that equal out the crappy things that I do that he'll work out with a therapist later. ;)

I didn't feel like a collegiate. I was sober. lol.

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to hear how much Shane enjoyed his classes - bet he did! I think Shane will always be successful in life - he charms everyone he meets. XXX Grandma Joan
PS - one day I will figure out how to put my name of this. Ken, where are you?

Anonymous said...

thought you might like to know that I have seen www.discoveryboxbooks.com are running a "special mission" at the moment - to take part you need to design your own Space Mission Patch, a fun activity I'm hoping to have a go with my kids this weekend. Taking part means you will get an official Certificate of Flight, which is a special souvenir of the International Year of Astronomy. There is a lot more information at spacequalified.org x

Anonymous said...

thought you might like to know that I have seen www.discoveryboxbooks.com are running a "special mission" at the moment - to take part you need to design your own Space Mission Patch, a fun activity I'm hoping to have a go with my kids this weekend. Taking part means you will get an official Certificate of Flight, which is a special souvenir of the International Year of Astronomy. There is a lot more information at spacequalified.org x