Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Stupid Oven

Stupid oven.

We have the absolute worst luck when it comes to ovens. Seriously. We have a huge black cloud hanging over our oven area. Just like the cloud that use to follow Ramona Quimby. A big ol' huge black cloud.

When we first moved in, we had a brand new oven and it broke within the first month we were here. We proceeded to fight with that oven, and the subsequent one that we had to purchase to replace it, for the next several years.

I finally got fed up last November and replaced it with a brand new shiny expensive oven. We made sure that we looked at the reviews on the new oven. Ken talked to some friends who had the same one and they were happy with it. It all checked out.

So we bought it and have been happy with it for the last few months. I mean what's not to be happy? We had an oven that actually turned on when you started it!

So you can imagine my disgust when I looked to see what time it was this weekend and the control panel on it was dead. Deader than a door knob. Dead.

Did I also mention that one of the gas burners stopped working?

Well, crap.

So we scheduled maintenance for this Monday and I reworked my to-do list to wait around for the repair guy.

He got here and I proceeded to tell him what was going on. First, he asked about the gas burner and I told him that it stopped working about a week ago and I didn't know if what was going on with that had anything to do with the oven.

He fiddled with the gas cap and adjusted it ever so slightly.

Then he turned the knob and it lit up.

With an absolute straight face (and I don't know how he didn't just crack up), he explained to me that the gas will not work if the dohickey-whatever-he-called-it isn't sitting properly on it.

At this point, I looked at him and said that I really wasn't blond.

He then proceeds to ask me what's going on with the oven. I said that I didn't know but I had flipped the breaker thinking that there may have been a power surge and Ken had unplugged it and replugged it back in.

He said that he was just going to unplug it and replug it again. So he did.

And it came on.

And I felt like an idiot. A big ol' blond idiot.

I then told him that I had lied. I really was born a blond.

Stupid oven.

Oh wait. Maybe it wasn't the oven this time.

5 comments:

ginny said...

sometimes you just amaze me:)

Kim Eckhardt said...

I am pretty awesome, aren't I?! :p

ginny said...

You are awesome and you were born a blonde!!

Uncle Cliff said...

I'll just stay silent on this one

Kim Eckhardt said...

It's almost too hard to bite your tounge and not say anything, isn't it? :p