Monday, August 22, 2011

Ride 'Em Cowboy!

The bull riding is always the premier event at any rodeo.  It was no different at the Cody Rodeo.

What makes these cowboys want to do this is beside me.  But I reckon once it's in their blood, it's a thirst that they must quench.


Trying to hold on for 8 seconds.  Funny 8 seconds doesn't seem that long.  To us anyway.   


A cowboy must rely on the help of the rodeo clown and the pickup men.  Sometimes that's all they have between life and death.


This wasn't a good sign.


The cowboy just tries to stay on for the full 8 seconds anyway he can.


But it usually ends up the same way.

 Then the cowboys wingmen step in to help divert the bull's attention away from the cowboy so that he can get to safety.


Climbing the rails is always an option.


That bull was really after him.


But he got to safety before the bull got him.


But he was really hurt.  You could see it in his face.  He must have sat on the rail for about five minutes gathering himself together.


Even climbing down the railing seemed to be excruciatingly painful for this cowboy.  


Ever so slowly and gingerly he continued to climb off the rail.  I couldn't take my eyes of of him.  It made me sad really. 


You just wonder what goes through their minds before they climb on the back of the bull.  


That can't feel good.  :(


Ride 'em cowboy!


There's a few ways to come off of the bull.  This is one option.  Though I'm sure it's not the preferred way!


Very few make it to the full 8 seconds.


Man vs. bull.  


The cowboy is winning this second off the clock.


But for how long can he last?


Go boy go!


But alas, as I've already said, the bull usually wins the war.


I have no idea what possess these men to mount a bull and try to ride it.  Stubbornness?  A desire to push himself?  A wish with death?

I guess it's different for every cowboy.  It's my favorite rodeo event. 

No comments: