Friday, June 5, 2009

Is It Tradeable?

I usually pack the kids lunch making sure that I balance it out with healthy foods and some sweets. They are kids afterall and Shane (especially) complains loudly that the other kids get "good things" to eat. Things like twinkies and cupcakes and fruit rollups.

Fine. As long as you eat the good things I pack for you, I'll be happy to pack you some junk. Okay. Not happy but I'll do it. Real junk. Not things made with veggies hidden in them. Okay. That's not entirely true either but I usually pack cookies or a mini-moon pie or something to appease the boy.

So when I asked him this morning whether he wanted strawberries or blueberrries today, he said that he wanted strawberries. I was surprised (because he likes blueberries more than strawberries) and pressed him further on his selection.

He replied that strawberries were more tradeable than blueberries but if no one would trade them, he can more easily just give them away.

insert big groan and sigh

So much for my well planned out, balanced lunches. I guess at least he was honest. And truthfully I really can't say much because we did the same thing when I was in fourth grade. I remember that poor kid whose mom packed carrots never had a trade no matter what he added to the trade to sweeten the deal.

I guess that some things never change.

No comments: