Friday, June 19, 2009

The Birds and The Bees - Part II

I've blogged here recently about Shane's peaked interest in the birds and the bees. Shane's starting to really ask questions.

Readers of my blog may remember his story about a friend who told me that "she's going to have sex with her pony so they can have babies."

If you don't remember that one, you may remember the little gem where his most recent worry that he and his friend were having sex if they shared a granola bar.

Parenting does have it's amusing moments, doesn't it? Those amusing moments are what gets you through the real life parenting moments.

Such as when you have to have the "real" conversation with your child about the birds and the bees. You know the one. The talk that doesn't entail the stork delivering your baby under a cabbage patch.

Well, a few weeks ago, Ken decided to have "the talk." I told Shane that I would be happy to answer questions but he told me it was a "man to boy" talk that I wouldn't understand. :p

So Ken made an appointment with Shane. And Shane held him to it. Reminding him every day that Sunday was the day. Like Ken could have forgotten, right?! So they went to Friendly's Ice Cream parlor for lunch and Ken told him everything.

Ugh. I didn't think he'd go into that much detail, but whatever. It's not my arena. As Shane reminded me many times. And later after Ken told me what the conversation was, I understood why Shane wouldn't look at me when he got home.

Ken was proud of himself for being honest and probably relieved to have the conversation over with I'd imagine. Or at least I would have been. And Shane was happy that he finally knew what it meant.

OR SO WE THOUGHT.

His PE class had their family life class a few days before school let out. Shane was really worried about it for some reason. (Why...I don't know. I'm sure that they wouldn't go into near the details that Ken did.)

So right before he left for school, he came up to me and said he needed to know if he and his girlfriend could get pregnant by sharing a glass of tea.

Seriously?

Okay. I guess that he wasn't as traumatized by his conversation with Ken as I was.

And I guess that Ken's not done educating Shane on the birds and the bees yet. He just *thought* he was!

2 comments:

ginny said...

Somehow I think Ken missed something! Or else Shane was like someone we both know & love- so busy thinking about the next question that he wasn't listening to any of the answers!

Uncle Cliff said...

I knew sharing my ice tea was the wrong thing to do or does regular tea & sweet tea work differently???