Thursday, September 17, 2009

Owen.....Manning?

Owen begged...no, seriously, begged us to let him play flag football. So I checked into it and it was the right season. And believe it or not, I didn't miss the sign-up deadline like I usually do.

I took tons of pictures at his last flag football game. I figured that he'd be a natural (he's pretty athletic and has no fear) and I was right. He was all over the place...I'm thinking that we should rename him Owen Manning because surely he belongs in that family with his moves.

The good thing about five and six-year-olds is that you can pretty much move them where you want them to go instead of telling them over and over, which is what the coaches eventually opted to do after trying to wrangle them.

Wrangling them....



Forget it...just move here...



Owen was usually the center, quarterback or safety for the entire game. In this next sequence of shots, you can see why they didn't score a point. :p

The center sets the ball to hike to Owen...



And hike, hike...



Dude...take the ball...



No, seriously, dude. Take the ball. That was the play...



Oh...you mean me. Okay. I'll just run through these guys with green shirts on...



And...play over...

But Owen was always quick to huddle everyone back together again (I suppose that is part of his new found responsibilities as a 7 year old)...



As I said, he was always running the ball...







Or chasing the flag....







See this little kid in the green? His name is Joshua. And do you know how I knew that? Because his dad was running up and down the field yelling "GET HIM, JOSHUA! GET HIM!" in a really menacing tone. Seriously? These are five and six year olds.



At one point, the dad-from-h-e-double-hockey-sticks was yelling at Joshua to get Owen. So I looked at him (because I was standing right beside of him) and yelled "GO OWEN, GO!"

I think that he got the hint because he didn't come near me again for the whole game. :p But...really...I could do a whole rant post about how parents behave at these games.

And I'm sure that I will before it's all over. ;)

Let's just say that Owen's play pretty much followed his personality and leave it at that. He was fun to watch.

Well. Except for the time that he stuck the football in the opponents face when he had the ball. He didn't even do it at the right moment either. They had him in a safety in their end zone. Such a proud parent moment.

Ah. Good times. Good times. :)

8 comments:

ginny said...

Great shots! Is the object of Tag football to pull the tag off the other teams belts??? Never saw tag football (plus only had girls, when girls played girls sports and boys played boys!)

Uncle Cliff said...

Really enjoyed the pictures. You can tell Owen really enjoyed himself and took the game seriously by looking at his face in the shots.

Rhonda Sisk said...

I'll bet he is really good at it. He looks like he is right on top of the plays and speeding by the other players with that ball.

Kim Eckhardt said...

He's just all over the place. He's not scared of anything and dove right in. The object of the game (it's flag football btw) is for the kids to grab the flags off of the belt of the kid with the ball. That's the "tackle". You'd think that it'd be a little more safe than regular football but not really. These kids (esp. the older ones) can be really rough. Our next door neighbor's daughter broke her arm playing flag football last season. :(

KenDC said...

of course, The Mannings are all QBs and you don't show him throwing the ball...is that too picky. :) Yeah, this is the perfect sport for him...um, and Shane's is tennis. :)

Kim Eckhardt said...

Don't quarterbacks do running plays too where they hand off the ball? Hum. I guess I don't know as much about football as I thought. :p

KenDC said...

OK, yes the do hand the ball off, I will give you that. :)

June said...

Great shots! Hopefully I can see him play again before he goes pro. ;)