Sunday, January 10, 2010

A Sunday Morning Sermon

Since it's Sunday morning, I thought I would give a sermon on friendship and kindness using tennis as a metaphor to do so.

No point in a game or game in a match or winning the match itself is more important than how you treat your partner during the course of play in the match.

When you arrive at the pearly gates of heaven and meet your maker, He isn't going to care whether you won a point in a game, a game or the match itself. He's going to care how you treated your partner on the court. When your partner made a bad shot, did you treat them with kindness and say "good try," "you'll get it next time," or even offer helpful advice such as "I've noticed that the other side is beating you down the line...cover the line and I've got the middle."

Or...did you roll your eyes, spin around and sigh deeply so that your partner could see and hear you?

If you did the later, you need to reexamine what's important in life. And it's not winning the point, the game or even the match. It's important how you treat others.

Amen.

6 comments:

Teacher in the middle said...

And how did you decide to use tennis as your metaphor for your sermon? Certainly no one you know, or play tennis with, would act in such an unkind way toward you! ;-)

Kim Eckhardt said...

I'm not sure how ANYONE would act unkind to me. lol.

I've played a lot of tennis and have witnessed this behavior time and time again. Some on the court. A lot more from a far.

I've seen this behavior with the kids and their friends. I've seen this behavior in adults. I've seen this behavior between spouses who can't agree on something. I've seen it between parents and children.

This was just an observation about life in general...not a commentary on tennis per se.

But it is a good metaphor, no?

Teacher in the middle said...

It's a GREAT metaphor. I just thought maybe Ken had given you some ammunition or something! :)

Kim Eckhardt said...

Oh well. Yes he did but I actually wasn't referring to anything he did. This time. ;)

Kim Eckhardt said...

But if I did want it to refer to Ken, I would just say "Ken sure acted like an ass on the court yesterday." It's kind of a running joke. Kind of. lol

Teacher in the middle said...

BAHAHAHAHA!!!! You guys must be as much fun as Greg and me!