Thursday, February 18, 2010

Pick Your Battles

Kids and their hair.

Parents and their kids have been fighting over their hair since the dawn of time. Kids in the 1950's loved the slicked back "bad boy" hair style of James Dean and Elvis. The fact that their parents hated it made it even more enticing.

Hippies and their hair in the 60's....the ultimate rebellion against "the man."

I'm not even sure what to say about the 70's. That hair was just horrible. Except for Farrah Faucett's. It rocked!

The 80's brought about the "guidette" look...with girls teasing and piling on so much Rave that our generation single-handedly killed the ozone layer! We loved it. Parents hated it.

The 90's came along and, much like the 70's before them, was just trying to go into hair recovery from the previous decade of rebellion.

And now here we are in the 00's (is that what it's called anyway?) and, in a moment of pure parental payback that leaves a grandparent giggling like a mad scientist, I am fighting the hair thing with my kids.

Okay. I'm not really fighting it. Because I don't care what they do with their hair. It's just hair and it will grow back. It's not permanent or anything like that.

Besides, I've got bigger battles to fight. And bigger ones coming up in the not so distant future. (I know that because my mom will NOT lift the curse and I'm due some pay back. And she told me so...with an evil laugh.)

So Shane is emulating the hippies of the 1960's. I have some older generation that ask me about his hair and want to know when he's going to get it cut. I just respond...when he wants to.

And he doesn't. He likes it just the way it is.



The fact that the waitress referred to Shane as a "she" the other day didn't even phase him. And I suppose if he doesn't even care that he's being referred to as a "she," there's really nothing that I can say or do that will make him want to cut his hair.

And I don't care. It's his hair. I don't like it but it's the one way that he can express himself without doing anything permanent. It's just hair.

Besides, if I'm going to fight a kid over his hair, I suppose it will be Owen. He wants a mohawk with his flag football teams color on the "hawk" part of the hair. He already had the junior version of the mohawk...the mohog. :p

Yeah. I know. I know. He's the one that I'm going to have the bigger battles with anyway. I'm going to save up the energy for those battles. Not his hair.

Although I don't care what they do to their hair, I'm not so sure that I'm going to allow Owen to color his mohawk green. Although I'm cool, I may not be that cool.

Or maybe I will. Stay tuned. :)

10 comments:

ginny said...

I think you are a wise woman!! However I still don't like his hair!

Kim Eckhardt said...

I don't like his hair either. :/

KenDC said...

I love that he doesn't care what other people think. That is the much bigger leason here.

Susan said...

Seriously Ken. so true. Sheldon said she didn't want to wear something the other day because her frenemy would make fun of it-although she really liked it. Girls are mean.

susan said...

Oh-by-the-way-I don't hate his hair. I kind of like it.

Kim Eckhardt said...

True, Ken. I think that is so true. I just didn't state it. But I still don't like his hair. But I DO like the fact that he doesn't care if other people don't like it! :up:

KenDC said...

Yeah, I kinda like it too, Susan. :)

Uncle Cliff said...

Like you said, it is only hair. I have needed a haircut all my life. I am 70 and my mother & wife just told me how badly I need a hair cut. Guess it is the same old story over & over. Never colored it though. Now that it is grey maybe I should consider green. My wife likes green. Hmmmmm.

Kim Eckhardt said...

I double dog dare you!

Unknown said...

I love that kid!