Monday, February 8, 2010

Snowmageddon 2010 ....Take 2



The DC area got hit with more than a foot of snow in December. While it was fun and all, evidently, the real reason for that snow was to prepare us for Snowmageddon 2010!

The last few days, the Washington, DC area was hit by the mother of all snow storms. We knew it was coming. The weather forecasters have been predicting a "significant snow storm" for the last week and yet people still didn't prepare and went into full-out panic mode.

Going into full freak out mode, people in the area wiped out the grocery store shelves of all milk, bread, meat and any other essentials that you can think of.

I *thought* I was prepared. I had gone to the grocery store earlier in the week and then chuckled to myself when I saw the cars at the grocery stores and heard the reports of people waiting in line for an hour or more to check out.

As always happens, mother nature showed me who was boss and I quickly realized that I wasn't as prepared as I thought I was.

Oh. I had beer. And I had milk and bread.

I soon figured out what I didn't potentially have enough of. Little stuff like batteries, candles and food that doesn't need to be cooked. And I figured it out when our power went out several times, the first outage occurring within the first few hours of the snowstorm...which was expected to last for another 24-48 hours.

Oops.

But it turned out okay and I learned my lesson.

The kids have had a great time playing in the snow and they have enjoyed their time off from school. I'm quite certain that they are never going back to school. But...that's a different post.

I give you...snowmageddon 2010!

Our poor trampoline. I hope it recovers from the weight of the snow.



Is there anything better than a snowball fight? Well. To me there is. But not to the boys.



Sledding is the BEST!





The kids have enjoyed all of the snow that we've gotten this winter. I wonder if they'll remember that joy when they're still in school in July.

Oh yeah...did I mention that they're predicting another snow storm either Tuesday or Wednesday -- just about the time we should be dug out of this one and ready to go back to school. But this time, it's *just* a little 5 to 8 inches. That's all. :-|

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Love these pictures Kim - thanks for posting them! Sure missed seeing you all this past weekend but didn't miss seeing the snow! See you this coming weekend I hope.

Uncle Cliff said...

Glad you all are doing ok. We are supposed to get 12" to 18" (so they tell me) from the new storm that is just around the corner. Gram. E will be here with us and we are always stocked up thru the winter months with wood, food. xtra propane tanks & bottles of water

Caroline George said...

I can't even process all this snow! Or what to do with two (or three) boys all day for days on end! : )