Sunday, December 12, 2010

Origami: An Obsession of an 11 Year Old Boy

Shane has been obsessed with origami since he was 8.

Obsessed.

I never really got his fascination with it until I watched Between the Folds, a documentary about the art and science of origami and how it interrelates particularly with regards to math.

Ah.  Now it makes sense.  It combines his love of math and science and figuring things out with his desire to create things.

So he searches youtube for ideas and will scour google for hours looking for things to make.  He's made everything from boxes to bunnies to rabbits and everything in between.

He loves to make things while we're at restaurants and leave them for the waiters and waitresses.  If he can con me out of money, he'll make their tip into origami.

Here's part of the waiter's tip last night.


I love this little outfit. <3

And I love his obsession.  Well, not the trail of papers he leaves strewn about but I do love his creativity.  And especially his thinking outside the box!

4 comments:

Becky J said...

I think anyone who can do this so successfully is amazing. Aren't you excited to see where this skill will take him?

Kim Eckhardt said...

Yep. I am. I think that it's tied into his math and science mind. That documentary is awesome. It's on netflixs. Watch it if you get a chance. It's amazing what people can do with a sheet of paper.

Tori said...

This made me think of you and Shane.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bookofart/

Kim Eckhardt said...

Thanks Tori! I will check it out. :)