Thursday, December 16, 2010

Shush...It's A SECRET!


Even at four, my niece Mary Mayken already knows how to play the game.

She is sure to grow up a politician.

Because she knows how to work the system like no one's business.

At Thanksgiving, I asked her if she was my best friend.  Her response was "totally" and we pinky promised on it.

And then she leaned in, putting her lips to my ears and cupping her hand around her mouth, she whispered, "I am your best friend, Aunt Kem.  But don't tell mommy.  It's our secret.  Okay?"

I said "OK!" and gave her a big wink and then made her pinky promise with me.



Feeling pretty secure in my number one best friend spot (because you know all girls have numbered their best friends in ranking order of importance), I told Susan that MM was my best friend.

Susan responded that she was everyone's best friend.  But I said no she was mine because we pinky promised on it.

Then I noticed her go over to my dad and whisper in his ear.  And then smiled big at him.  As she made her way over to Shane.

Dad whispered to me that she told him that she was his best friend.  But...shush.  Don't tell Aunt Kem.  Because it's a secret.

And she said the same thing to Shane.  But...shush.  Don't tell Poppa.  It's a secret.

Then she made her way to my mom.  And she told her that she had four best friends and Nanny was one of them.

LOL.

So then she continued around the room promising everyone that she was their best friend.

But...shush.  Don't tell anyone.  It's a secret.

And then Ken and I decided to bust her on it.  And we both asked her who her best friend was at the same time.

Without skipping a beat, she said "you are both my number one best friends."  And, with a big wink to me, she stuck out her pinky to pinky promise me.

Stinker.

But she wouldn't pinky promise anyone else.  Unless I said it was okay.  She has her standards, you know!

But my dad finally got her to pinky promise him right before he left to go back to SC.  Because I said it was okay.  ;)



That girl already knows how to work the system!

She's everyone's best friend.  But...shush.  Don't tell.  It's a secret!

4 comments:

ginny said...

She's already working everyone! She's going to be a heartbreaker.

susan said...

Seriously. Don't tell her a secret though. She will tell. Also she told me what my Christmas present was and told me she was going to get it so I could see it but it was a secret and I couldn't tell Sheldon. haha.

Kim Eckhardt said...

LOL. Note to self: Don't tell MM a secret unless I really want her to tell it.

Susan said...

She will tell it and she will tell the person she is telling that it is a secret! SHHHHH