Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Omelets Made Easy!

I'm always looking for time cutting ways to fix meals.  Betty Crocker I'm not.  Heck.  I'm not Paula Dean, Julia Childs or Rachel Ray either.  I could probably cook something of theirs by following the recipe.   *Maybe.*  If it had less than four ingredients.

So when I saw this recipe, first I thought it was weird.  Then I thought it was genius.  And best of all... time saving.  I give you omelets made easy. 

Step 1:  Gather all of your ingredients.  Cheese (ummmm cheese), bacon (ummmm...bacon) and onions and mushrooms and spinach if you are me and place them in a quart sized bag.


Then crack your eggs.  Just two eggs is enough.




Be sure that you put names on the outside of the bag.  A sharpie works best.  Squish all of your ingredients together.  This is a great job for the kids!


Then zip up the bag, removing as much of the extra air as possible, and put it into a pot of hot boiling water.


After 13 minutes, carefully remove the bags from the water.  Open them and put them on your plate.


And voila.  You have an omelet.  Without having to stand there for fifteen minutes making it.



A few things that I learned. 

1.  Be careful to fold the bag tops over so that they don't melt onto the pot.  :-|
2.  Have a larger spoon or something handy to rescue the cooked omelet that you accidentally let out of the bag.  Because you didn't seal the stupid bag properly.  :-|
3.  Shift the bags about half way through the cooking so that they're pretty.  :-|

They taste great and the best part is that you'll save time in the morning and your kids will have a delicious, healthy breakfast!  Give it a try!

1 comment:

Kim Eckhardt said...

According to my friend SueAnn, Ziplock said not to boil their bags because they can omit cancer causing thingys. She said that you can use your Food Saver to make the omelets and the process is the same!