Monday, January 10, 2011

A New Sport? LAX

Owen is trying a new sport. 

Lacrosse.


In action!  Follow the red helmet.


Go Owen!


When I first signed him up, his first response was "Mooommmm.  You know you put me in something that has boys and sticks, right?  You know what THAT means"!

Gah.  How right he was.

He was playing backfield (or whatever it's called) and wasn't seeing much action.   Well.  Except for this pesky little kid who was assigned to stay on Owen.

That kid took his job seriously.  He was about a foot shorter than Owen and was all over Owen.  Following him everywhere.  Sticking his stick in Owen's face.  Generally being a pesky little kid.


So Owen did what any boy would do.  He took his stick and hit the kids' stick really hard and told him to go away.  Really I don't blame him.  *I* wanted to go out there and do the same thing.  That kid was super annoying.  SUPER.

And, in Owen's defense, I did see him warn that kid about five times to get off of him.

Owen  then switched sides and was guarded by some other kid.  But this kid was a little bigger than Owen.  He walked up to Owen and took his stick and hit Owen's stick really hard and walked off.

And Owen was having none of that.  Owen chased the kid down and took his stick, said something to the kid, and then wacked that kids stick about as hard as he could.

Such a proud mom moment. 


His mouth guard kept coming out, falling onto the field and he kept having to take his gloves off to put it back in.  (Um.  Gross.)  He finally got fed up with it and shoved it into his glove and put his glove back onto his hand.  Being the awesome parents that we are, Ken and I both gave him a thumbs up. 


But my best not-too-proud moment was when I texted my friend Donna and asked he to come dress Owen for his game before we left.  Because I had no idea how to get the gear on him.


Donna's son is in high school and plays lacrosse.  Her advice?  "Tell Owen to aim for the area "between" the pads."  :eek:

I guess Owen was right about boys and sticks.  


 

I guess we'll just have to wait and see how this whole thing shakes out.  I know that it's a fast paced game once the kids know what they're doing.  I'm just not sure that Owen can hold his attention long enough to get to that point.  :p

2 comments:

ginny said...

And this is safer than letting him play regular football?

Kim Eckhardt said...

It's still rough no doubt but there isn't tackling so you don't have to worry about a concussion. Eh. All sports have their risk. Remember when Shane BROKE his tooth playing tennis? :/