Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Moving On

Now that the votes have been counted and Barack Obama is President-Elect, we can all move on with our lives. I don't know about you, but I'm damn glad that it's over. I was going to do a post about the election but thought about it and it's just going to get me worked up again.

And, I've done that enough over the last few months. It's time to get back to something that makes me happy and doesn't send my blood pressure sky high. And yours too.

I've mentioned before that I like to photography old barns. That makes me happy. I'm not sure what it is that pulls me to them.

Maybe it's because they are indicative of a by-gone era. A time when life was simplier. When kids were content to play outside and not sit in front of their computers and video games all day and then whine that they had "nothing to do." When meals were made from scratch and families sat down together to eat them.

Maybe it's because of all of those reasons. Most of these barns are in Anderson, SC, Clemson or Pickens. These are only a few of my favorites.







And lastly, my friend Keith and I found this little gem while out shooting. A neighbor saw us photographing it and stopped to tell us the history. (Because that's what you do in the south...actually speak to each other.)

She said that it was a mess when the guy who owns it started rennovating it. He was able to bring it back to it's original glory. Obviously, it was a labor of love because this barn is awesome.



I love the old John Deere tractor in the barn. The guy who refinished it obviously thought about every single detail.



Hopefully these pictures will bring you the peace and tranquility that I feel when I look at them. We could all use a little of that today!

6 comments:

Teacher in the middle said...

My family and I were in the NC mountains about a month ago and saw some old barns. They had obviously been repainted recently and at least four of them had HUGE quilt square designs painted on the side. They were beautiful! I didn't have my camera to snap photos of them, but I'll be back up there sometime and I'll try to get them then.

Anonymous said...

I love old barns just about as much as I love old houses. i wish the barn were still here as well as the old kitchen. Oh well. I wish people didn't tear stuff down. I love the barn pics!

Kim Eckhardt said...

Robin, you'll see a lot of barns in NC. What part of NC were you in that you saw them? That quilt pattern that you're talking about can be found in the Amish country. Post them on your blog if you can get them. :)

I totally agree, Susan. I wish that people would stop tearing down the old barns and houses. It's a shame really.

KenDC said...

Where are the blue barns to balance it out?? :p

Teacher in the middle said...

We were around Blowing Rock, Wilkesboro, and Boone. We have friends with a house up there and we go periodically for the weekend...I'll post some on my blog when I get some. You're so smart!

Anonymous said...

Yea that was fun and the pics turned out great. Can't wait for you to come back. I have found some other great places to go and take pictures. I'm just getting the hang of using my camera and able to go out and take some pics.