Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Thank You To Our Military

Today is Veterans Day.

What does that mean?

Well, to me it means that my family is safe because of the sacrifices that both military men and women have made unselfishly. Because of them, I can sleep safe at night.

But simply thanking them is not enough. Our government should be providing services to these men and women as they return from battle.

These soldiers who have sacrificed so much shouldn't have to worry about coming home and wondering if they have a job.

They shouldn't worry if they will get adequate health care.

They shouldn't worry if their families are being provided for while they are off serving our country.

They shouldn't worry if they will have a house to live in when they return.

What they should be is held up in the highest regard by the US Government as well as our citizens.

So, today, let's remember all of the women, men and their families who have fought and sacrificed for our freedom.

And let's remember that it's not just todays military and families that we need to thank.

If our ancestors and their families had not fought so valiant for our freedom in the Revolutionary War, you and I wouldn't be living the life that we live today.

As a member of the Daughters of the American Revolution, and as someone who has ancestors who fought on both sides of the Civil War as well as WWI, WWI, the Vietnam War and the most recent wars in the Middle East, I realize that without my family's participation, America wouldn't be America. And that's pretty cool.

I wish that I had pictures of all of my family members who have served but here are a few that I have that I want to share.

Uncle Dick. A fine military man who served for years for your freedom. Thank you, Uncle Dick. :)



Grandpop Hawk. Served in the Hackettstown CCC and left a legacy of pictures from that era that are probably one of a kind. Thank you!



Roy Boyd. Born in 1898 in West Virginia and served in WWI. I never knew him but it doesn't diminish my thanks to him. Thank you!



And last, but not least, Wayne Eckhardt. A veteran of the Vietnam War whose stories about standing guard around the Reflecting Pool during the Vietnam protests I will never forget.



I would also like to thank Darrel Dore' and Cliff Eckhardt - veterans of the Vietnam War. And, Larry Hawk, who gave the ultimate sacrifice for serving in Vietnam. And, even though he's no longer with us, thanks to Morton Freeman who served in Louisiana during WWII. And Danny Eckhardt for his service during WWII.

Thanks to Matthias Snyder for serving in the Salem Flying Artillery for Confederates during the Civil War. And to Christopher Hartrum for serving for the Yankees during the Civil War. Both were my great-great-great grandfathers. You may not agree with the Confederate point of view, but without that battle and struggles, we would not be where we are today.

And thanks to Jacob Vosseller Sr. and Jr., John Teeple, Peter Apgar, Phillip Philhower, all my great grandfathers, for your service during the Revolutionary War. How I wish I could sit down and talk with you about the struggles that you faced while helping form this great country.

If I have forgotten your name, it's not because I don't thank you. I'm just getting old and forgettful!

Let's also remember that it's important to teach our children about our history. It is our job as parents and grandparents to make sure that our children don't forget about where we came from.

So, thank you to all of our Veterans and to those men, women and their families, who are currently serving in the military.

5 comments:

ginny said...

Great post Kim- thanks for all the reminders.

Caroline George said...

What a great post! What a thankful day.

Teacher in the middle said...

You rock...thanks for getting our attention!

Anonymous said...

WOW!!!

Anonymous said...

Our strengths as a nation were forged by our history, our ancestors, relatives and friends. Our strength IS our history....and learning the lessons from it. Lest we NEVER forget.....
Teach your children well, Kim, show them how our ancestors forged our country, so they too can pass the legacies of those labors, on to their offspring.