Monday, January 19, 2009

Hide and Go Seek - Reality TV Style

I hate reality TV.

There. I said it. I would rather stick a fork in my eye than watch one. Okay. Maybe that's an exaggeration. A very slight one though.

The only exception is nature shows. They're old school reality TV and I love them. Shark Week on the Discovery Channel is awesome! Meerkat Manor? Love it. The Discovery Channel is my favorite.

So I was super excited when Ken ordered Planet Earth in high definition for his Blue Ray. (Hehe. I sound like I know what I'm talking about, don't I?) Broken down for people like me, it makes the show more life like.

We decided to watch one with the kids on Africa the other day. We went into Ken's man cave, got a bowl of pop corn and settled in to watch all about the migration of the animals and the monsoons.

It was awesome until it came time for the predator/prey section. Oops. I had forgotten about the predator/prey/kill parts of nature shows. Oh well. We were watching it and had already gone too far down the road.

I mean, it's not like it's CNN where people are killing each other. It's nature. It's educational.

One segment was about a pack of wild dogs that were chasing a pack of gazelles (I think.) It was incredible how the dogs had a plan of action and executed it perfectly.

And then the dogs split the pack of gazelles up and one of the dogs isolated a gazelle and started chasing it. The kids started yelling "go little gazelle, go." But the dog was too fast. And it took the gazelle down.

Shane said he was sad for the gazelle.

Owen said "Oh well. That's what you call hide and go kill."

Tee-hee. Hide and go kill. But, he was right. The dogs hid from the pack and then split up and went seeking to kill the weakest one of the pack. And they succeeded.

Where does he come up with this stuff? Seriously.

Did I mention that the "hide and go kill" section was right after the section on a bird's mating ritual? Oops. I forgot about that part of the nature series too. lol.

11 comments:

ginny said...

Are you trying to do early sex education????

Kim Eckhardt said...

Geez. They were birds. They weren't "doing it." The male was just doing his thing. Strutting around. Doing bird calls. They were weird amazon birds. The kids were too busy laughing at how funny they looked rather than noticing what they were actually doing.

And the female bird just looked at the male bird, turned up her beak and walked off. lol

And, for the record, Shane started asking about sex in the first grade...

ginny said...

Shane asks about it- Owen will try it!!!

Anonymous said...

What in the hell is wrong w/ you two? That's as bad as the watching the wildebeast get murdered. I know that is spell wrong before anyone corrects it. I was worried that Shane was going to tell Sheldon about Santa. Maybe I should rethink what I should worry about him spilling. ha.

Kim Eckhardt said...

1. They didn't show the kill. They showed the take down.

2. The birds were just flirting. It wasn't humping. Jeez. Get your head out of the gutter. There's no way that I would let the boys watch them doing it. Come on. I'm not ready for those questions yet.

3. Shane wouldn't dare tell Sheldon about Santa. He would lose his presents and that's not going to happen. Owen, on the other hand, will tell once he knows. You've been warned.

4. Shane doesn't know about sex. He just thinks it's hugging. He's heard the word at school and asked about it. I bet Sheldon has too. She just hasn't asked you for clarification yet.

:o)

Anonymous said...

I'm glad I don't know about any of that stuff

Anonymous said...

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sheldon knows that babies come from your belly button and that God put them there. Explained. Done. Would you like her to explain it to them?

Kim Eckhardt said...

Um. Yeah. Did that. Now he wants to know HOW God put it there. That's your next question just so you know. Would YOU like THEM to explain that question to HER? hahahahahahaha.

And, no. We didn't explain it to him. Santa about did him in. I don't think he's ready for the truth yet. lol

Queen of her Castle said...

Never mind all that wildife stuff. I can't believe you don't like reality television. Have you gone mad?

Becky

KenDC said...

Plus, I got it from the UK site that was 1/2 the price. I think it is important for the boys to see how life works. We can't protect them forever. :p

Kim Eckhardt said...

OMG. Something that we disagree on, Becky. I'm not sure that we can be BFF's anymore.

I suppose that we'll just have to downgrade it to BF's. ;)