Thursday, March 12, 2009

Organization Gone Awry

Katie, from the first time I saw them, I loved your organized cabinets with all of your flours and cereals neatly stacked and organized in modern Tupperware containers. Or should I say cabinet...because it is the only one that I'm allowed to look in since apparently the rest look like my cabinets. ;)

So, when I received the invitation to your Tupperware party, I couldn't resist stopping by. I've been in a clean it up, clear it out and organize it mode so this was perfect timing. Besides the fact that you make a tasty little margarita. Which is probably what led me to believe that I could have a cabinet like your cabinet.

Heh. I had cabinet envy. That's funny.

Anywho, when I went to gathered the ingredients for my chicken pot pie last night, I grabbed for the white flour in it's neat little Tupperware container (because I felt bad using my usual whole wheat flour in gravy). That was my first mistake. I should have just used the good for you stuff.

I should back up here and say that for a second day in a row, I had planned dinner in advance (because I was going to DC for a cocktail party) and was going to use the chicken that I had cooked from the previous day's dinner debacle. That was my second mistake. I should have left them sandwiches instead and taken a nap.

But, being the good mom that I am, I made dinner for them. If you haven't made chicken pot pie before, the first step is to make the gravy for the pie filling. Now, I am a southern girl and I know how to make gravy.

So, as I was talking on the phone, washing laundry and emptying the dishwasher, I was stirring my gravy (mistake #3). It wasn't getting any thicker so I kept adding more flour. My fourth mistake was actually measuring out the flour. I should have thrown it in with my hands.

But, 30 minutes later, it didn't look right. I figured that I had added too much butter (because it was greasy, which it never is) so I dumped it out and started over. I still had 30 minutes to spare so I made it again. I really, really wasn't giving up.

The second batch came out better but there wasn't much gravy (it still didn't look right though) but screw it. I had to go get in the shower so I poured it over the chicken and veggies.

And then I tasted it.

And it was super sweet.

What in the hell?

All the sudden, a light bulb went off over my head just like the cartoons. I backed up and stuck my finger in the flour and tasted it.

It wasn't white flour at all. It was confectionary sugar.

I guess that tells you how much I cook with white flour. And, well, that would explain why it didn't look like gravy either.

Because it wasn't. It was an unplanned science experiment.

And the kids had sandwiches for dinner. What I should have planned for them to have in the first place.

But, Katie, I still love your organized cabinets. It was good in theory and I get an A for effort but a D for follow through and foresight. I guess that's what I get for being organized but I suppose I didn't take the organization far enough. I'll be getting out the ol' label maker and labeling everything this weekend.

The label for the confectionery sugar will read "confectionery sugar, stoopid."

And....yet the bottle of peroxide strikes again.

7 comments:

ginny said...

Hey Blondie,how are you going to do labels this weekend when you are going to your sisters house so you can see your mom?

Anonymous said...

Hey Kim,
We just love your blonde moments, it reminds me of the choc.cake Shell made. It called for a cup of coffee so she put a cup of ground up cof. in. Needles to say it left your teeth speckeled when eaten. Just dip cake in hot water and when done you have a cup of coffee.
Enjoy the visit with your mom.

Unknown said...

OMG - can you tell a story or what????? Personally, I think it's God punishing you for all the flax and whole wheat you use hidden in your food!! He thought you all needed a little sugar!!! Thanks for being a great dysfunctional commercial for modular mates!! I think they are looking for a new spokesmodel!!:-)

Unknown said...

Hey Kim............guess I'm having a blonde moment, too!! It's actually me leaving a comment - Katy - but, my Kelly has a google account........so, really - it's Friday, Deron's away, and I can't figure out computer crap........so, guess I'll just go with the name Kelly being my alter-ego!!!!:-)

Kim Eckhardt said...

Heh. I love you, Katy. You know I do. We are one. But if God were punishing me for ANYTHING, it SURE wouldn't be for hiding things in food. Not with the whole host of other things he has to choose from. LOL.

EB said...

Ah yes, the label maker is your friend! :-) Oh well, it's a great story!

Queen of her Castle said...

Make sure you have some tape in your label maker blondie.