Friday, June 13, 2008

One Brown Bear, A Couple of Ducks

We had pretty severe weather last week. There were about three or four days where we had tornadoes or tornado warnings and it rained so hard that the trees were bent sideways.

The last one that we had, there was an actual tornado warning so we went to the basement.

Then, Shane's eyes welled up and the tears started. He kept saying "what would happen to Ducky Sr. and Ducky Jr. if the roof blows away? They'll be lost forever."

He got really upset.

Owen says "it's just a storm, God Shane."

Complete opposites, right?

I tried to reason with Shane but Ken felt bad so he went upstairs to get them.

And, Owen yells after him "and, grab my baby Pluto because he's so cute."

Meanwhile, I'm thinking to myself "great...the roof is going to blow off and Ken's going to die..."

So, Ken comes back down with the two ducks, Owen's bear and some snacks. (He grabbed the first animal he saw in Owen's room.)

Sweet. Snacks.

So, the wind is howling outside and I'm looking at the stuffed animals on the table.

All the sudden, I remembered a drinking game in college (when I was 21, of course) that started out with "one brown bear and a couple of ducks" and I crack up laughing.

I told Ken and he says "too bad you don't have your camera with you."

But, of course I do.

Because when you're in a life or death situation, you need your camera. Don't worry. I haven't lost my mind. I grabbed my cell phone and the flash light too.



So, then Shane says to Ken, "I know what you would have said, Daddy, if anything happened to you. Just remember that I love you."

So, he obviously understood the ramifications of Ken going to get his ducks. Maybe he hasn't figured out yet that they're stuffed animals. :)

2 comments:

ginny said...

At least you went to the basement!!! Important that you took the camera, you never know when a photo op will present itself!

Kim Eckhardt said...

Exactly what I was thinking.

Actually, I was more thinking about needing it for insurance purposes. Ken would be so proud. ;)