Friday, June 13, 2008

School's Out For Summer!

Bet you thought that this post would be about the kids or what our plans were for the summer, right?

Well...no. It's about one teacher who made a difference.

And you think that teacher would have been one of my teachers. But, no. It was one of Shane and Owen's teachers.

If you know me, you know who I'm talking about. Mrs. King. She's just awesome. I can't say enough good things about her. So, instead of rewriting it, I'll just post something that I sent into a contest for teachers about her. She didn't win so obviously that means that they did not receive my nomination.

"Dear Sir or Madam:

What a great idea! Teachers by far are one of the most under appreciated professions. I have been fortunate enough to be involved in my kid’s school during the day so I have seen the work that goes into being a teacher. The extra time that they give unselfishly. The extra money that they spend to buy things for their classrooms and their students. The extra work that they do outside of their class to make sure that their kids are getting the best education that they can. On a shoestring budget.

There is one teacher that I cannot say enough good things about. Janet King. She is a kindergarten teacher at Ferry Farm Elementary School in Stafford County. My third grader had her and now my youngest son has her. I have been so lucky. She has allowed me to come in and help her so I have had the privilege of seeing the work that she puts into making each one of her students feel that they are the most special student ever.

She treats every single child with respect regardless of their race, gender, economic status or education level. She takes the time to explain things to a child on their level and works and works and works with them until they understand it. She never loses her patience either. I’ve never seen her raise her voice at a student. Ever. She makes me feel special when I’m in there and I’m not even one of the students!

She also makes learning fun, which is so important with teaching kids. My 3rd grader still sings the songs that she taught him to his brother to help him learn. She understands how children learn and gets down on their to their level to do it.

Just as she makes every student feel good about themselves, she also includes the parents. Some teachers do not like parents in their classroom. Not Mrs. King. She invites every parent into the classroom. If they want to visit, she allows them to read or help in other ways. If they want to view what is going on, she invites them in for the day. I have helped her coordinate holiday parties and she wants to make sure that all parents are included and feel welcome.

She is so responsive to every question I send in - no matter how big or small. If you send in a note to her with a concern, she will either call you during her break or send a note home that day responding to your concern. And when I say a note, I mean a full-page response. As a parent, you can’t ask for anything more than that.

She has been teaching at Ferry Farm for over 25 years and has taught people who are now in college. When I speak to those parents, they can’t say enough good things about her. I have never, ever heard one parent (current or past) say anything negative about Mrs. King. If you have children, you know what that means. She’s been teaching here for 25 years and no negative comments from parents? That should tell you something. :)

I told her when my oldest went to first grade that she set the bar way too high for all of the teachers after her. I am really very, very sad that I won’t have any more children to go through her class. She has made such an impact in not only my children’s lives but also mine. She is what a teacher should be. She loves her job and is darn good at it.

I can’t say enough good things about her. I wish that every parent had a Janet King to teach his or her child at least once in his or her school career. She’s truly a gem. She should get this spa day because she unselfishly gives so much to so many others that she deserves to receive that same special treatment that she gives every single day."


Mrs. King and Owen at Westmoreland Berry Farm, 10/07.



Shane and Mrs. King. 2005



So, Mrs. King thank you for all of your hard work. It's appreciated. Most importantly, enjoy your summer. You sure deserve it!

3 comments:

Teacher in the middle said...

That is about the nicest thing I've heard about a teacher in a very long time. Just reading that about Mrs. King has renewed my energy for teaching. Thanks Kim!

ginny said...

Every child should have a Mrs. King for their first teacher.What a great start for them. The boys were lucky.

Anonymous said...

t's such a important site. fabulous, quite intriguing!!!

-------

[url=http://oponymozgowe.pl]Opony[/url]
[url=http://pozycjonowanie.lagata.pl]Pozycjonowanie[/url]

[url=http://smartdir.pl/zdrowie-i-uroda/opony,s_347/]opony[/url]