Saturday, October 25, 2008

Allergies and Kids

You have to be so careful these days about giving kids items made with certain ingredients. No more just grabbing a pack of cookies off of the grocery shelf and sending them into the school for a classroom party. Those days are loooooong gone.

Peanuts and Tree Nuts seem to be the biggest culprit. Nobody sends things into the school made with peanuts or peanut oil. One boy at the kids school is even allergic to pears and a few other fruits so you have to be very careful with the juices sent in as well.

The information on allergies must have sunk into the kids. I heard Owen open the door and ask his friends if they wanted a snack. Of course they said yes.

But before he gave them the snack, he asked if any of them were allergic to any foods.

How funny is that coming from a 6 year old?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

All I know is that the PTA moms go CRAZY over the allergy thing. Oh my god. Let's make it easy and not feed any of the kids at school or have any parties. Ha. Actually I have found the kids that have allergies are very careful about what they eat. The school my friends children go to is even worse. They only allow store bought things to be brought. Nothing homemade. Freaks...

Kim Eckhardt said...

Last year, they only allowed store bought. This year, it's homemade. They're confusing me. I'm with you...no parties. Besides the fact, there's always that mom who brings the sibling that they're not suppose to who terrorizes everything and then get mad when you correct their darling child who is throwing stuff at the other kids. Ugh. PTA moms. tee-hee...

Anonymous said...

Are you saying I should leave MM Reed at home? hehehe

Kim Eckhardt said...

No!!! Sadly when I took her to the school, she WAS the good one. ;)

Queen of her Castle said...

My kids went to a nut free school. Well nuts as in the kind you eat. (LOL! I crack myself up.) Yep, it was a pain in the rear to read every label for any packaged foods you sent in for lunch.
Becky W

Kim Eckhardt said...

You crack me up too. :)