Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Some Good Things About The South...All In Pictures

One of the things that I love about going places is capturing photographs of the ordinary.

Well, it's ordinary to some people. Most people just drive by it on their way to and from running errands paying no attention to it.

But, I do.

It's what defines a place and an area. Whether people realize it or not. I bet they would were they to step out of their surroundings into some place different. Hopefully they would return to their home looking at things a little differently and appreciating it a little more.

We all take where we live for granted. Even we do living outside of DC. We drive through the city hoping that we don't get caught by the light on 14th and Independence in between the US Capitol and the Washington Monument.

Tourists come in hoping that they do get caught by that same light.

It's all about perspective.

And see, that's the thing about photography. I love capturing images of things (and people) before they're gone.

And hopefully, through my photography, my children can have perspective of me as more than just "mom" and someone who cooks and cleans up after them (all the time!) should anything happen to me.

Here are some shots that I took of my hometown of Anderson and the surrounding areas that I think speak volumes about the area.

When was the last time you saw this sign?

You know the food here is yummy. I bet they have the best sweet tea, fried chicken and grits. Evar.




Cuzzins General Store outside of Oconee State Park in SC. We use to stop here when we were camping to listen to the bluegrass jams. Best. Memory. Evar.



The one stop shop sells it all. Except beer. I don't think that they sell that.



I bet these hamburgers are good. I aim to find out next trip to SC!



Pretty much seen all over the rural parts that are left in Anderson (and some just as a reminder in the developed areas.)



I know that you know where this is if you've been to Clemson.



And, if you went to TL Hanna, you know where this is too. No doubt.



Well, I hope that this has been a fun trip down memory lane for you. And, I hope that you come away with a greater appreciation for Anderson and the south.

There are a lot of good things about the south.

These are just a few of them!

7 comments:

ginny said...

Great pictures- you forgot the best hot dog place around!!!(the old one of course)

Teacher in the middle said...

These are GREAT pictures! And yes...I know where those places are!

Anonymous said...

Mac Smith's...yes..on the great hamburgers...YES,YES on Mee-Maw's grits ..) Becky

Queen of her Castle said...

Great pics. I need to remember to take pictures of the random images.

Becky W

Kim Eckhardt said...

After that vote of confidence, there's no way that I can NOT to go Mee-Maws and MacSmiths! And, don't worry, Ginny. I did not forget. It deserved it's own post! :)

Anonymous said...

Hey I love the pics and I remeber the pic of the tractor, remeber because I was with you when you took that one and at the Esso. Keep taking pictures and how about some of where you live so I can see what it's like to live up north.

Haley said...

I still have the videos you and I made riding around Clemson, with Hank Williams Jr and David Allen Coe playing in the background...... Oh, you have got to take a picture of the house, that had the little old man sitting in his rocking chair always waved at everyone!!!