Sunday, October 12, 2008

Yankees in Falmouth



Fredericksburg is rich in history. Particularly Civil War history. We are really lucky to live here because there are so many living history events. I belive the best way to teach children about history is through interaction and not just reading about it in the text books and listening to teachers who sound like Charlie Brown's teacher. Wa-womp-wa-womp-womp-womp.

A while back, I posted some pictures of the Memorial Day Ceremony at the Confederate Cemetery in Fredericksburg, VA. And, to show the kids both side of the story, I took them to Yankees in Falmouth, which centered on the Yankees role, and the role that Moncure D. Conway, a native of Falmouth, VA, played as abolitionist in the South during the Civil War.

Of course I had my camera with me (duh!). The Berdan's Sharpshooters re-enactors gave firing demonstrations and were there to discuss with the public "their" role in the Civil War. The kids also toured the Moncure Conway house, which is now a private residence but was opened to the public for the event.

Here are some pictures from the event.

Enjoy!












Hope you enjoyed the Yankees in Falmouth as much as we did!

2 comments:

ginny said...

Once again, you got some great shots. Are you going to share witht he re-enactors?

Kim Eckhardt said...

Thanks and yes. Eventually when I get around to it. I still owe other people pictures first though. I sux. ;)