Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Palin Stumps in Fredericksburg



Sarah Palin came to stump for her party in downtown Fredericksburg yesterday and my friend Emily invited me to go with her. I was excited to go and see for myself what was going on instead of listening to all of the rhetoric(some valid and some not valid).

It was also an excellent opportunity to photography history.

Since I got back, I've gotten emails and calls that range from "you went to see that woman!" to "I can't believe that you've defected" to "wow...she's my hero."

But rather than go off on some rant about how it's okay that I went to the rally even if I don't necessarily agree with her or her party and there's no reason for me to have to defend myself or how we're never going to solve anything if we can not recognize others opinions, I'm just going to post the pictures.

So, enjoy. Or don't. It's your choice.

I chased this woman down to get a picture of her. I love the plunger. That's so cleaver.



Joe was well represented other than the lady above. Some folks changed their signs to make them more personal though. I should have made a sign that said "Kim the maid." LOL.





I saw this as humorous. The funniest thing is "an" should have been used instead of "a." :)



The Republicans are all about free capitalism and the rally was no exception. There were street vendors hawking shirts, buttons, signs and just about everything else under the sun.



I loved the homemade signs. They really allowed people to vocalize their opinions in a creative way (which I am all about.)



This one was my favorite. He got picked to sit behind Palin in the bleachers.











My girl Emily showing her support for Palin.



And, last but least, Palin did give a speech. There was nothing negative about the speech or the crowd. Everyone behaved themselves.






I was born in October and my sign is the scales. I firmly believe that there has to be some balance - everything can not be so far one way or the other. If we don't learn to stop yelling at each other and start listening to each other, we're never going to solve the problem.

I mean really. Check out Emily and I. She parts her hair on the right. I part mine on the left. But we can still agree to disagree and can - wait for it - still be friends.



So, before you flame me for the fact that I went to the Palin rally (gasp!) please know that there are far worst things that I could be doing than educating myself on the days events. That's what I hope for Shane and Owen. That they learn to look at both sides of the coin before they make a decision.

This rally didn't really sway me one way or the other but it was cool to be a part of history. :o)

8 comments:

ginny said...

I think this is why we have a "secret" ballot system- everyone has the right to vote the way they want to! I'm proud that you are open minded enough to look at all the options, then decide for yourself.

Anonymous said...

How DARE you? :mad:

Heeeheee..Just kidding!

That's so awesome. A moment in history that you got to witness first hand, and the pictures are priceless.

How many times did she wink? :-D

Nanny A said...

I think it is great you went and took photos! I love your blog and your photos! Now you just need a view on the other side :) It would be interesting to see photos from you from both sides of the camp. I missed Obama's/Palin's visits to NOVA the other week.

KenDC said...

Palin's got nothin' on you two!! :)

Kim Eckhardt said...

Thanks mom and Ken. :)

She winked at me. Three times. I counted. ;)

Thanks, Alice. Ken went to the Obama rally. If you do a search on my blog for Obama, the pics will come up. There aren't as many because I didnt' go and Ken doesn't take as many pictures as me (that's an understatement.)

Anonymous said...

Having lived in Alaska for a long time, I knew Sarah Plain since before she was mayor of Wasilla...her hubby Todd and I snowmobiled together, he's a world class champion...she is an average lady and housewife...and down to earth...make a great cup of coffee and serves breakfast in her housecoat...LOL
Politics aside....she's a nice lady !!!
GREAT PICS KIM....

Don & Laura

Anonymous said...

I agree. I think we should all be open minded and not just think in terms of party.That is why Obama says there are no red state and blue states but just the United States of America. I really believe he will bring the country together if elected.

Grandma Joan

Queen of her Castle said...

I would have gone too just to be a part of history even though I am a Democrat. Great pictures.