Sunday, October 26, 2008

Are You Smarter Than A Fourth Grader?

Here we go again.

Math.

Ugh.

It is the one thing that just leaves me shaking in my booties. I am reduced to a 1st grader when I see some of the kids math assignments. (Actually, I shouldn't say that because Owen is pretty good at math. Thank God!)

And, Shane's only in fourth grade. I can't imagine that it's going to go anywhere from here but downhill.

I'm in trouble. Deep trouble.

Regular readers of my blog (all two of you!) may remember my struggles with Owens' Kindergarten homework last year. Yes. I said Kindergarten.

Apparently, fourth grade homework isn't going to give me a break either.

So, instead of suffering through this by myself, I thought that I would suck y'all into my misery. On a Sunday no less. You can thank me later.

If it doesn't drive you nuts, please come live with us. I will gladly put you up and cook and clean for you because you obviously will be helping Shane AND Owen with their homework because I sure can't.



Have fun and post your answers in the comments section.

Even if it's just "I give up" because then at least I'll know that I'm not alone. ;)

9 comments:

Unknown said...

That's not too hard.

First, find how many seconds it will take

1,000x = 1,000,000,000

Divide both sides by 1,000, which is easy, because you can just chop off a set of zeros, meaning it will take you a million seconds.

So, just do the math on the time.

1,000,000 / 60 = 16,666.667 minutes
16,666.667 / 60 = 277.777 hours
277.777 / 24 = 11.57 days

That's should be right. :)

Unknown said...

Oops! I realize now I didn't read it right, it says $1.00 a second, and I read $1,000 a second. :) That doesn't change the logic though. It actually makes it easier.

If you give $1 a second, it will take a billion seconds.

So,

1,000,000,000 / 60 = 16,666,666.667 seconds
16,666,666.667 / 60 = 277,777.778 minutes
277,777.778 / 24 = 11,574.074 days
11,574.074 / 365 = 31.7 Years.

I hope that's right. :)

ginny said...

You won't have to worry about cooking & cleaning for me!!! Too much thinking for me!!!

Anonymous said...

That problem made me laugh out loud!!!! Becky (I don't think they taught math at Winthop while I was there...did they when you were there!??)

Anonymous said...

Ok, that is either a terribly worded question or...well, no, I think it is a terribly worded question.

"Give out a dollar of every second"? What does that mean? Seconds don't contain dollars.

"...for an entire year..."? Well there you go, if you only do this for a year then you will not give out the billion dollar goal.

Thirditively, it doesn't specify what unit of measurement the answer should be given in. Therefore if the question is supposed to be "If you give out a dollar per second, how long will it take to give out one billion dollars?", my answer is "One billion seconds".

Do I win free room, board, and food?

Anonymous said...

The question left my head hurting.

However, I read this "It is the one thing that just leaves me shaking in my booties" as "...leaves me shaking my booty" and that made me smile :)

Matt Waldinger said...

I get:

31 Years
259 Days
1 Hour
46 Minutes
40 Seconds

It just takes a lot of division and then converting the remainders into their smaller parts (Leftover years into days/days into hours/hours into minutes/minutes into seconds)

You know it will take 1 billion seconds to do it. You just need to reduce that down into "normal" units of time. ;-)

Nanny A said...

WOW I think I am liking 6th grade math better...even my business math questions.

I would submit to the teacher, "Way longer then I need to spend out giving a dollar every second of every hour, every day, and every year. But I will be happy to accept said money" :)

Queen of her Castle said...

Wait until they hit junior high. I don't even look at my daughter's math. That is for her father to do.

Becky W