Monday, December 8, 2008

Don't Hold Your Breath!

There are a few of my unnamed friends *ahem* who are organized and on the ball and have already sent out their Christmas cards and wrapped their presents. You know who you are. I'd like to be organized and efficient.

But I just don't happen to be one of those people. I'm a juggler and those balls almost reach the floor before I scoop down and throw it as high as I can into the air.

So, don't hold your breath and this isn't a contract that is legally binding, but I *may* actually get Christmas cards sent out this year.

*May* being the operative words.

Since I'm a list maker, I'll give you a glimpse into the process:

- November 1 - Contemplate whether I can get away without sending Christmas cards for two years in a row and determine if I don't send them for two years in a row, I'm off the hook forever.

- November 5 - Contemplate whether I should actually write a Christmas letter this year. After all, I still have the Christmas paper that I bought to write letters from FOUR years ago.

- November 15 - Still contemplating whether to send cards or not. But only because I'm at Costco picking up some other pictures and see the Christmas cards and start feeling guilty.

Especially because I sent Joan and Darrel a Christmas card a few years ago that I meant to send to Marcie and Jeff. You know...I always wondered why Marcie and Jeff never responded to my long note on the back. I wonder who got Joan and Darrel's card that year!

- November 25 - Wonder to myself who I'm trying to fool thinking that I'm going to send Christmas letters. Ha. Those letters just aren't going to happen. Again this year. The paper will be in the same place next year. It's only a little yellow.

- November 25 - Blow off sarcastic question from Ken as to whether we're going to send out cards or not. Well, it was only 1/2 sarcastic. There was some truth to his question.

- December 1 - Have another conversation with Ken who flat out asks me if I'm sending cards this year or not. He won't let me out of the conversation without making me feel guilty that even Ken noticed that I didn't send out cards last year.

Nevermind that last year I was planning a trip to Disney, working like crazy and planning the school's Pancake Breakfast fundraiser.

- December 7 - Collapse from running the Pancake Breakfast at the kids school this year (which I swore last year that I wasn't doing again) and decide that I should *probably* send out cards this year.

So I go onto Costco.com to find a decent picture that was uploaded before our computer crashed and lost all my pictures and design the card. I make a mental note that I will pick it up on Monday and tell Ken emphatically that they WILL go out by Friday.

So Monday comes and goes and I just didn't make it there.

So, if I don't get them out by Friday, I still have next week.

And, if I don't get them out before Christmas, they'll be Happy New Years cards!

Surely I can't be the only one who scrambles to get everything done before Christmas.

I may lose my sanity this year, but I WILL get cards out before Christmas.

Or, at least I'll try to!

6 comments:

ginny said...

Good for you. I've about decided to skip cards this year! The total sum of my Christmas decorations are 2 tablecloths, 1 wreath on the front door and a towel in the kitchen! It's not all bad having the grandchildren in Virginia and not coming to Nanny & Poppas for Christmas!

Kim Eckhardt said...

um...this is the first time in two years I have put up decorations. Does that make me a bad person? lol

ginny said...

Not a bad person- poor planner! If you were gone again, you wouldn't have to do it this year either!!! HA!

Anonymous said...

I am going to try to get away w/ not putting up a tree. I'm just going to wait and see if anyone brings it up. haha. I did get our cards. BUT ...I haven't sent them out.

Kim Eckhardt said...

I'll take putting up a tree to traveling again this year. Yuck. I'm done with the traveling for a while.

And, I picked up my cards! yay me! And....CHECK!!!!!!

Queen of her Castle said...

Yay you go girl. I tell you I am cheering you on. Go Kim, Go Kim. I will be checking my mailbox.