Wednesday, December 10, 2008

The Spelling Gene Strikes Again

Bless his heart.

Owen is really working hard at his spelling but genetics have a funny way of showing up when you least expect it. He's got an uphill battle in the spelling area for sure.

Owen has spelling words every week and this week his words consist of words that end in -ish, -ash and -ush. So we're going through his spelling words and I asked him to spell 'flush' and he spells it 'f-u-s-h.'

I corrected him and asked him to say the word first and then spell it.

He gets really belligerent (imagine that!) and says emphatically "F-U-S-H mom. Get it? It's right."

Kim: No, Owen's it's not. You're missing something.

Owen: FU mom. F-U. Okay? THAT IS RIGHT!

Of course, I revert to a 12 year old and start giggling because my six year old has just told me FU and doesn't have a clue what he said.

He just continues in his argument and I decide to let it go because I've lost the argument anyway. It's like arguing with myself. Sheesh.

5 comments:

Teacher in the middle said...

OMG!!!! This is hilarious! You made me LOL! Seriously! The 12 year old in me giggled out loud when I saw the FU!

ginny said...

I'm sitting here LMAO! Funny

Anonymous said...

The thing I am laughing about is I can see him getting furious at you. F-U hahahaha

Kim Eckhardt said...

Oh he was piping mad. That's for sure. The madder he got, the louder he got and his belligerent emphasis on F-U was even funnier. Haha. I'm 12 years old. LOL.

Queen of her Castle said...

That was funny. I would have been giggling. Of course we have the whole spelling struggle here as well. It isn't fun but at least you get a few laughs along the way.