Sunday, April 6, 2008

Chores Part II

As I've said before, it's never too early to teach them chores.

Mary Mayken wanted to help Ken (proving that it's also never too late to learn how to do chores) do the laundry. So, instead of shooing her away, he let her help. He would put the wet clothes on the door to the dryer and she would shove them in.



I mean...it's free labor and all. And, she's certainly more helpful than the boys.

She then decided to pick up the whites and help put those into the washer.



Hey, Shane and Owen...this is how you pick up your socks.

She's such a good girl.

I won't mention the 50 toys that she left laying around. Or the countless number of cheerios and goldfish that I stepped on walking through the kitchen. I would hear the "CRUNCH" and immediately I froze (sometimes with my foot suspended in the air) so I wouldn't step on more and cause myself more work.

And, before you leave a comment about her clothes not matching, Ginny, I know, I know. (Frankly, I'm not positive if those were actually PJ's but they worked.)

But, but, those are her jammies from last night. She spilled water all down the front of her matching jammie top. I was tired so I grabbed the nearest top and that's what I got.

I've come so far. I usually won't even let my boys go to bed with mismatched PJ's on. Owen is usually the one with mismatched jammies (because Shane likes matching clothes).

Here's how the conversation with Owen usually goes:

ME: "No, Owen, Scooby does not match with Spongebob. Go get a match."

OWEN: "God mom. It's a top and a bottom. It works. It's just so simple. Don't you get it?"

ME: "Yes, Owen I get it." Taking the two pieces of clothes from him.

ME: "They don't match. Besides, you grabbed two tops."

OWEN: "NO I DIDN'T. SEE?" Grabbing them to prove his point and showing them to me. Of course, they're two tops and it makes him even madder.

But, he's not giving in. Not Owen. That would be too simple. See, if you didn't know this already, he lives in this river near Egypt called "Denial".

OWEN: "THEY'RE NOT TWO TOPS, MOM." Still grumbling that as he makes his way up the stairs to get something that matches.

Of course, at this point, Shane has to interject because he sees an opportunity to needle his brother.

SHANE: Owen, they are two tops. Stop arguing with mommy.

At this, I have to chuckle, because 1) Shane has now become my ally and 2) Shane actually told Owen to stop arguing like he is so mature and above arguing with me. This makes me giggle. :)

Ten minutes later, he comes down with a mismatched top and bottom on. All proud of himself. Because he's such a stinker.

But, back to Mary Mayken's mismatched outfit. I was tired and she didn't care. Just don't tell anyone, m'kay?

4 comments:

ginny said...

I didn't even notice that her Jammies didn't match until you pointed it out! Maybe I'm starting to chill too!! (well maybe not)
mom- AKA ginny

Kim Eckhardt said...

Tee-Hee

Queen of her Castle said...

Okay at least she has on jammies. And I too use to be pretty anal about that but at some point youjust got to give it up. Now I am lucky if my boys are wearing clean jammies to bed.

BeckyW

Kim Eckhardt said...

I said that my boys wearing matching pj's...not clean ones. LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL