Friday, April 18, 2008

Recognition For A Job Well Done!

Everyone should be recognized for going above and beyond.

Especially a teacher.

Shane's been working on a research project, which includes a paper and a project board, for one of the teachers at school.

He wanted to find out what makes gems have their color. We researched at the library and checked out at least 15 books and a few videos. (Yeah - we forgot to return them on time and got a $5 fine but whatever.)

He interviewed a local expert, Kenneth Bonanno, who owns a jewelry and antique store in downtown Fredericksburg. He was awesome and spent so much time with Shane. I would recommend visiting his store and giving him your business. He's very knowledgable and won't steer you wrong.

We also visited the Museum of Natural History with Joan to pick up some things for his project board.



The teacher has been staying after school to help the kids write their paper. She's been very supportive of Shane and has been so enthusiastic about his research (as well as that of the other kids.) When I've been in her room, I've noticed her talking in depth with the kids about their projects and really spending time with them.

So, I go opened the mailbox the other day and found a postcard in there for Shane from the teacher.




So, Mrs. Kutch, I just wanted to thank you for going out of your way to encourage Shane and to praise him. He was super excited about getting real mail (he had just been complaining about not getting mail the day before) and you made him feel really good about himself.

And, here's to the teachers who go out of their way for the kids. It's a job that I'm not sure I could do - dealing with the smart mouth kids all day, not to mention dealing with their parents and the administration. Oh yeah - and the SOL's and the other tasks that they are required to do that don't directly involve teaching the kids. And don't even get me started with the budget or lack thereof.

To all of the good teachers, your work is not unnoticed. By the kids. Or the parents. :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great teacher....so Shane...when you become a high prices jewler, are ya gonna give your "uncle Don and Aunt Laura a BIG DISCOUNT.....lol....seriously,,,great job to the teacher...and an even greater job to Shane....way to go dude !!!!

Queen of her Castle said...

Wow. That was a great research project. I don't think my 6th grader does that much work on hers. And it's great that you got a teacher that cares so much.

Teacher in the middle said...

This is fantastic that you posted to thank your child's teacher. I LOVE my job, but sometimes I do feel like no one, not even the students, appreciate what I do! Thanks Kim!