Monday, April 14, 2008

What's In Our Garage?

Well, besides a mess, that is.

The boys and I were pulling into the garage the other day and out of the corner of my eye I caught some quick movement. I saw a small brown body scurrying along the ledge of the garage and it moved behind something that was leaning up against the ledge.

Oh GREAT I thought. I knew it was a rat because it was too large to be a field mouse.

Gross. I HATE rats and mice. It really freaked me out but I had to know for sure.

So, I went and put my stuff into the house and told the boys to keep an eye on that area so we would know if it moved.

I came back out and screwed up all of my courage and looked at it.

This is what I saw:



Whew. It wasn't Mickey. It was a cute little bunny but it definitely did NOT need to be in my garage.

We had to get the bunny out of the garage, but how?

Well, I got Ken's baseball glove and put on the only gardening glove that I could find backwards because I couldn't find the right one.

Of course, the garage is a mess so we had to move everything out from in front of the area where the bunny was to try and get it. Five minutes later, I was ready to scoop the bunny into the glove.

And, of course, I had to take a picture of the bunny, right? I had Shane take it because I had the bunny in my glove.



And, well, that was a brilliant move. NOT.

I forgot that bunnies can jump and the bunny hopped out of my glove right onto me and jumped behind a bunch of other stuff in the other corner of the garage.

I screamed like a little girl when the bunny jumped. I'm sure that the neighbors three streets over heard me. Shane told me to stop screaming. LOL.

So, I finally made a wise choice and told Shane to put the camera up (I know - shocking) and told him that we'd leave the door to the garage open and the bunny would just have to leave on its own.

It took two days for the bunny to leave. I wonder if we'll see the bunny again? I'm betting so. Last year, we had a bunny in our back yard all summer.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Absolutely precious.....especially the part when you screamed...poor lil bunny.....you're lucky...could have been a red squirrel or better yet a skunk , possum or porcupine...just the greatest type of pets you keep there in Va for your kids....LOL

Anonymous said...

Your blog must have been an omen...went out to my garage opened the door and almost got run over by a red squirrel that had gotten locked in over night...yeowwwwwwwwww...scared the crap out of me...as my eyes then adjusted to the dark of the garage..low and behold...were little paw prints ALL over the car...and little bits of paper everywhere...he musta been nervous and started chewing...what a mess....at least your visitor just sat there till you picked it up...mine was intent on bowling me over on his way out the garage and probably was aiming for my throat to get even enroute....Yi YI YI...excitement like that I don't need...had me reaching for the NITRO....LOL

Kim Eckhardt said...

LOL. That's awesome. In a "I'm glad that you didn't have a heart attack" kind of a way. :)

Queen of her Castle said...

Oh, he is so cute. My kids would have tried to catch him to keep him. And I probably would have screamed too. Bunny or not, I don't like wild animals jumping on or near me.

becky W