Tuesday, August 5, 2008

M'am...Is He Drowning?

Owen has this, um...unique method of swimming.

I've dubbed it "the drowning victim stroke."

Because if you've seen him swim, you probably thought that he was drowning at first.

And, yes...he scares all adults at the pools we go to.

His swimming "technique" is ugly but he gets where he wants to go.

And, no...he's not drowning.

He just looks like it.

And, yes...I've had more parents than I care to think about come up to me and ask if they should jump in and get him.

Even though I'm sitting right there watching him. (Truth be told, I'm probably more than likely photographing him. LOL.)

I even had a life guard trainer ask if she could use him as an example to her life guards to show how someone looks like a drowning victim but isn't.

But, he can swim. He gets from point A to point B with no problem. He and Shane raced at the pool and they reached the opposite end at the same time.

Of course, Owen did pull Shane back so he could catch up but that's not important, right?

I'm probably the only parent who yells to their kid to go under water and swim. He's a good under water swimmer.

And he looks normal.

And, then parents stop looking at me like I'm crazy for letting him swim without a life jacket.

And, if you think that I'm lying, here's the proof. I give you Owen's famous swim stroke.



Note that his body is straight down.




Pics taken at Pawleys Island 2007.

And, when he's swimming on his back, he sings this song:

"I believe I can fly
I got shot by the FBI
All I wanted was some chicken wings
They're $1.99 at Burger King"

I'm not sure where he picked any of that up. First, the FBI part. And what's up with chicken wings? I'm not sure where he got the cost part or where he got the idea that BK sold chicken wings. He doesn't even like wings. LOL

But, it's his song. It's an Owen and Shane original. Maybe I should copyright it.

So, if you take Owen to the pool, you've been given the headsup. And, you won't be the first person to say "I'm glad that you warned me because you were right." LOL

1 comment:

ginny said...

I've seen the real thing and I can't believe he stays alive!!! You just want to jump in and pull him out! Boy would that make him mad!!!