Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Winning The War...One Battle At A Time

Some of you may remember a post a while back about the war that I am at with my family and their eating. Although I haven't posted much about it, I'm still at war. It's just a silent, sneaky war.

And the best part? They don't even know it. It's much easier to do battle with an enemy that doesn't know that they're at war. LOL.

One major battle ground is lunch. Like typical kids, their two favorite lunches are PB&J and grilled cheese sandwiches. And that's it.

I found a way to make the grilled cheese sandwich a little more nutritious and wanted to share it with you so you too could win that battle.

My friend Emily introduced me to Veggie cheese.

Veggie cheese?

Yes. Veggie cheese.



She assured me that her kids loved it so I tried it.

The first time I made it, my husband even liked it.

Until he saw the package. And, now he won't touch a grill cheese sandwich if it has yellow cheese (because it's the only time I use yellow cheese). Apparently, I am not quite the sneaky chef that I thought I was because I broke one of the cardinal rules. Rule #1 - hide the stuff. ;)

But, but, in my defense, I kept it so I would know the expiration date. I didn't want them to get sick, after all. Now, I just put that kind of stuff away. Far, far away.

Anyway, back to why you're reading the post.

First, you'll notice the cheese looks the same as processed American cheese.

Looks the same - check.



And it melts like regular cheese.

Cooks the same - check.



And, here's the important part, it tastes like regular cheese.

Tastes the same - check.



Rounding out their lunch with blueberries, carrots and V8 juice makes it a great lunch in my book.

BUT HERE'S THE REALLY IMPORTANT PART -

This lunch is healthy and they ate it all without a fight.




So, yes. I'm winning the war. Or, at leat I'm one step ahead of them.

But, as a good general, I'm always changing my tactics and I'm constantly on the look out for new products on the market to help in this war, which I'll post about later. (I found the cheese in the organics section of the produce department.)

Give it a try and let me know if your kids (or your husband!) like it. But, just remember to hide the cheese package. Otherwise, you'll lose this battle.

And, definitely drop me an email if you make the grilled cheese sandwiches and your kids like (or don't like) them!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

KIM,
Please don't turn into that type of MOM that tells the kids that liver is something other than it is... like a new type of meat called revil (liver spelled backwards for those of you who don't know) or tell the kids that it actually tastes good...please please don't turn into thay type of MOM....

Kim Eckhardt said...

Don't worry. I don't like liver. Especially the fake kind. :)

Josie Thames said...

Aw, Kim. I love this sneaky side of you. If ONLY you had remembered to HIDE THE CHEESE! Too bad they don't make a white cheese, and you could throw away the external wrapping! At least your kids like it, and that's the best time to begin healthy habits.

Queen of her Castle said...

Two of my kids don't like grilled cheese. I know weird kids. See what I go through?