Monday, August 25, 2008

The Typical Grocery Shopping Trip - With Kids Part II

Regular readers of my blog may remember a post a few months back that documented my typical grocery shopping trip with the boys.

I got several emails from people who stated that:

1) This wasn't real and it had to be staged,
2) I was out of my mind for taking pictures in a grocery store and
3) My kids are nuts.

Well...it was real.

And, I am out of my mind. Who wouldn't be after taking kids to the grocery store?

And they are nuts. Definitely.

And, they do act like that at the grocery store. Every single time. You can bank on it.

They "think" that they are being slick and usually sneak under the cart when I've got my back turned.

Well...that's okay. Because while they "think" they are punking me, I'm actually buying veggie cheese and sticking it into the cart while they're preoccupied with trying to punk me.

Of course, I pile the other food on top of it so they don't see it.

And it never goes on the bottom of the cart. Because they will see it.

It's the same concept as throwing their stupid McDonalds toys away and piling trash on top of it and putting it in the center of the bag so they don't see it through the outside of the bag.

If you have kids, you know what I mean. :)

Anywho....I should also state that I emphatically told them that they WOULD behave and would NOT be going under the cart when we got into the car, when we pulled into the parking lot and AGAIN when we walked through the door.

These children are brain dead.

Check out Shane's form. I know...awesome, right?


They are having the time of their lives. Shane is almos 70 pounds and is really too big to be shoving his 9 year old body under the cart.

But he does it. Even if he has to kick Owen in the face in the process.

I think that this is the part of the program where Owen starts to protest how much room Shane has taken up.

While he's protesting he is "forgetting" the fact that he was told not to do it. And when I remind him of that, he starts protesting that he was never told that.

And, the cycle goes on...same as the last trip to the grocery store. Sigh.



And, as it always happens, they ask if they can have twenty five cents for the toy machine conveniently located at the checkout register.

When I say no because they misbehaved and did what I told them not to, they protest loudly that they were good.

This is one of the rare times that they are in complete agreement with each other.

But...ah...what's that I hear?

The school buses gearing up for school.

Yea! Grocery shopping in peace again. :)

6 comments:

ginny said...

I surely hope nobody in Anderson knew who you were at the grocery store! It will be the talk of the town!
Why is it that these kids are so good when their mother isn't around???

Kim Eckhardt said...

You haven't taken them grocery shopping by themselves, have you? Don't worry. This was in Pawleys Island. Anyway, I will be the talk of the town for other reasons. LOL

Teacher in the middle said...

Ok...I have taken my own children shopping and what you have here seems mild. I know that it's true...I understand the reminding them before you leave, on the way there, and as you enter the store. I understand. And, I feel your pain!

Rhonda Sisk said...

My kids go around the grocery store looking for money. In their minds, it is fair game if it is on the floor. I have seen them drop to their knees looking under the shelves and registers. One day, I actually had to drag Avery up out of the floor and out of the door. Thank goodness no one was in the store that knew me.

Josie Thames said...

I love how sneaky you are with the veggie cheese and McDonald's toys! I don't know what it is with kids and grocery stores; Cathryn dances up and down the aisles and throws fits every three minutes when I tell her she can't have everything she puts her hands on.

You are not alone!

Anonymous said...

I just don't EVER take my kids to the store. End of fight.